Monday, July 26, 2010

It's actually not quite the same thing

Have you ever heard the line that asking gay members of the church to remain celibate isn’t any different than asking single sisters who don’t marry to remain celibate? That statement is like nails on chalkboard to me. It completely dismisses the full reality faced by members of the church who experience feelings of attraction for the same sex.

I recently listened to this Mormon Stories interview with Natasha Parker, who is an LDS marriage and family therapist. Of the many topics they discussed, homosexuality was one of them. John Dehlin (the interviewer) explored with Natasha the options that are available to gay members. Natasha says right up front that none of the options are really that fantastic. I think she boiled them down to three options. One option is to leave the church and pursue a same sex relationship, a second option is to stay in the church and pursue a relationship with someone of the opposite sex, and a third is to stay in the church and remain celibate. Clearly, these aren’t the only options, but probably the three most well traveled paths.

At one point in the interview, John brings up the commonly stated idea that what the church asks of gay members isn’t different than asking single sisters (I also think it’s funny that it’s always single sisters and not single people in general) to remain celibate. He also mentions other scenarios, like what if one spouse experiences some kind of medical condition that renders him or her unable to be physically intimate, like paralysis. You could also say that sex isn’t everything and a lot of marriages become sexless anyway, so what’s the big deal? Anyway, John presents these scenarios and asks Natasha if that is a fair comparison to what is asked of gay members. Thankfully, Natasha responds that it’s not really the same thing.

I want to take it a step further and explain why it isn’t the same thing. With single sisters, there is at least still a hope that they will one day be able to be with someone who they love and are attracted to and either way, in the next life everything will be taken care of, right? I think there’s an assumption that that applies for homosexuals as well, meaning that everything will work out in the next life, and you won’t be gay. I don't think we magically become someone different in the next life. I don’t think we know exactly how things will work out in the next life. I believe that they will, I just don’t think we can fully know or understand how they will.

The comparison to marriages that become sexless anyway to justify marrying someone of the opposite sex doesn’t work for me either. Just because some marriages go through phases of little to no intimacy doesn’t mean I want to start out a marriage with that built in issue. Plus, the attraction to the same sex is about a lot more than just sex. I think a common misperception is that homosexuality is some kind of sexual addiction. Those are two completely different things. Sexual addiction can destroy you. I don’t think homosexuality can. Conflating the two only leads to misunderstandings that lead to failures in communication and understanding each other and what the real issues are.

There are emotional and intellectual and even intangible aspects to the attraction as well. If I had to choose between a sexless marriage to a woman and a sexless marriage to a man, I’d probably still choose a man. And it’s not because I don’t get along with women. Trust me, that has never been an issue. I went through a phase where I thought I got along too well with women and that part of curing the gay would be for me to try and not get along so well. That resulted in me slowly dying inside.

There’s just an intangible energy with men that I’m attracted to that isn’t necessarily only physical. If you are straight, try to explain the attraction that you have to your spouse or significant other or whomever you are attracted to. If it’s a mature attraction, it’s probably not purely physical and I’m guessing it would be difficult to fully explain why you are attracted. There are probably emotional and intellectual and spiritual aspects to your attraction as well as those intangible aspects that are hard to explain.

So bottom line is that the comparisons mentioned earlier just don’t work for me. To clarify, though, the purpose of this post isn’t to try and get the church to change its doctrine. That’s obviously not up to me to dictate. The purpose also isn’t to try and win the My-Life-is-the-Absolute-Worst-So-I-Deserve-the-Most-Pity competition.

In the July 2010 First Presidency message, President Eyring talks about faithful friends. He says, “When we reach out to give succor and to lift a burden, He reaches with us. He will lead us to those in need. He will bless us to feel what they feel. As we persist in our efforts to serve them, we will more and more be given the gift of feeling His love for them.” I just think that unless and until we really seek to understand and acknowledge the full reality of what other people face, there’s no way we can feel what they feel or experience true unconditional love for them. That's the purpose of this post.

16 comments:

  1. actually what the church asks of gay men is more like asking straight (wo)men to generally avoid spending time with a member of the opposite sex in a way that could be construed as a "date" to never kiss, hold hands with, or be affectionate towards a member of the opposite sex, and to give up hope for a loving relationship.

    maybe once we all start recognizing how difficult that is instead of acting like its uncomfortable and overlooking it we can truly begin to life eachother burdens, whatever those man be.

    miss you jon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear Natasha Parker didn't try to equate those things either... Ariel, thanks for your kind words too. I agree, it really is isolating and painful for gay folks to hear those kinds of words. It doesn't help.

    I agree with your point about preferring a sexless marriage to a man over a sexless marriage to a woman... In fact, I posted something along those lines a while back!

    It ain't and never has been just about sex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm formulating my opinion on separating the GAY from sex. It will most likely be a work in progress forever. We can discuss it more in depth at Time Out. You'll fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (from Kristine)

    My thoughts are disconnected, so I'm going to list them...

    1. It's kinda sad that you even have to clarify the difference between a gay member of the Church, and a single member of the Church. Um, it just seems kind of obvious to me, and always has. Sure, neither is supposed to be sexually active at the moment, but one gets to live with the hope that could change tomorrow. One gets told that their desires are righteous and holy. Totally different.

    2. The comment about paralysis precluding intimacy made me think about how many people think I'm paralyzed, which I'm not... And then I started to wonder if it would be in the best interest of my social life to start pushing for a public awareness campaign, to let people know that most people in wheelchairs are still perfectly capable of EVERYTHING marriage entails.... :)

    3. Is there ANYTHING that requires more faith than the idea of marriage working itself out in the next life? I can't fathom a heaven where people's preferences and attractions suddenly change, or a heaven where proposition 8 gets voted down, or a heaven where people have to be alone... So it's a good thing God's in charge, not me. I just know that the next person who tells me to have faith and wait until the next life is going to get kicked in the face. I have major issues with that, beyond the issue with anyone assuming I won't marry in this life, and beyond the issue of impatience...

    4. I heart Elder Eyring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ariel! I miss you too and hope Scotland is being nice to you.

    J G-W, thanks for you comments.

    Mandi, I can't wait for Time Out for Women. And Jon.

    Kristine, I LOVE your idea for a public awareness campaign. Maybe you can get NBC to incorporate that into some "The More You Know" commercials. Just think of the possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard this stated two ways that I think illustrate the difference between "same-gender attracted" men and single women:

    “God wants you to choose to be single, not just accept the fact that you happened to remain single.”
    ~ Tony Collette- From the One - http://mormonalliance.org/casereports/volume3/part2/v3p2c09.htm

    “Single people are not asked to sacrifice, they are asked to keep looking.”
    ~sneakersinsacrament.blogspot.com

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also try teaching my pops that the single woman analogy is not the same. I think he gets it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post and thoughts, Jon. I don't like the comparison either. My SSA isn't just some growth that will fall off in the resurrection. It is woven into the very fabric of my personality, which I expect will rise with me in the resurrection. How that will exactly look I can't say, but I believe most of what constitutes "my SSA" will still be with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, Natasha has a blog where she does a professional Mormon dear abby kind of thing. mormontherapist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw her blog, I've also been enjoying her posts on Mormon Matters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dont' have time to be eloquent. Just feel proud that one of the thoughts you and I started pounding out a while ago has become such a lovely and well formulated blog post. love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally hear what you're saying and appreciate your post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This topic comes up so often, and in fact I just talked about it with my brother when I came out to him last weekend. I always like to share what Elder Marlin K. Jensen said when he was interviewed for that PBS documentary on the Mormons:

    "And yes, some people argue sometimes, well, for the gay person or the lesbian person, we're not asking more of them than we're asking of the single woman who never marries. But I long ago found in talking to them that we do ask for something different: In the case of the gay person, they really have no hope. A single woman, a single man who is heterosexual in their thinking always has the hope, always has the expectation that tomorrow they're going to meet someone and fall in love and that it can be sanctioned by the church. But a gay person who truly is committed to that way of life in his heart and mind doesn't have that hope. And to live life without hope on such a core issue, I think, is a very difficult thing."

    I just love that there's a Church leader who really gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Calvin! Thank you thank you thank you! I was thinking of this exact quote when I wrote this post and I read through the transcript of that documentary trying to find the quote and eventually gave up. And now here it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. JonJon, well said. I've described this to many people, myself, and they do seem to "get it" much of the time (not all of the time).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this concept was the major thing that hit me when I first read your blog, Jon. It got me thinking about those three legitimate options that you have (that you outlined in this post) and the difficulty inherent in each of them. My thought was, "Wow. That really stinks." Every one of those options entails loneliness or isolation from a part of you or something important to you. It really is a tremendously difficult thing that is asked of faithful gay members of the church.

    ReplyDelete