Monday, May 17, 2010

What it means to be a man

I think we've gotten to a point in history where it's safe to say that men have certain disadvantages. Sure, we've traditionally had more of an advantage in school and careers and even church, but those advantages are mostly ego-centric. The advantages revolve around money and positions of power or authority. What of our emotional health though? How many books and organizations exist that further the emotional health and development of women? How many books and organizations seek to do the same thing for men? For men, it's all about how to become a better provider, how to make more money, how to further your career, how to fix a car. I think we assume that just because that's how our culture is currently, that's how it always has been and that's just how it's supposed to be. It's part of our gender roles as males. I say bull shit. :)

My friend Krisanne recently sent me a link to this post on The Exponent. The article discusses how sometimes in books and movies and popular culture, the man is portrayed as the bumbling idiot while the wife is the more evolved force in the relationship. The author also mentions how this mentality has kind of leaked into church culture. An explanation that is often given for why women don't have the priesthood is that it's because they are inherently so much more spiritually minded/evolved than men and we need the priesthood to help us evolve. I don't really buy that. It sounds like a really bad made up reason, kind of like blacks couldn't have the priesthood because they were less valiant in the pre-existance. It's like we're setting ourselves up for everyone to expect much less of us. We aren't naturally nurturing and charitable and kind and warm like women, so please bear with us. It also kind of sounds like we're just patronizing the women and hoping that by doing so, they'll stop asking why they can't have the priesthood.

This isn't about the women though, this is about the men! My friend David sent me some more quotes by James Hollis, who I quoted in my Resonance and Rhythm post. These quotes come from his book Under Saturn's Shadow: The Wounding and Healing of Men. I've added this book to my list of books to read that keeps growing more quickly than my ability to read them. Here are some passages:

Because men are so insecure in their sexual identity and propped-up gender roles, they fear and deny those parts of themselves that don't fall within narrow collective limits. When they see those aspects being lived out by others, they reject them violently. Homophobia is a prime example. Gay men have the same heart, same soul, same courage to go into battle as their heterosexual brothers. It is time to come out of the macho closet and name the real problem--that men fear those who incarnate their unlived life. The enemy is not the other guy, but rather our fear that we are not what patriarchy demands.

Men are terrified of their feminine side. They associate their feeling life, their instincts, their capacity for tenderness and nurturance, with the culturally defined nature of woman and distance themselves accordingly. This also distances them from their own anima and occasions a profound self-alienation. In fact, it may be misleading to speak of a man's "feminine side," for the anima is actually a necessary part of what it means to be a man. Men seldom risk this part of themselves, but it is as much in their nature to relate to the world and to their own inner life as it is in the women's.

Virtually any man will recall occasions when he expressed himself and suffered ridicule or rejection. Men pay a heavy price for being seen to be fragile and vulnerable. They are shamed by other men, sometimes by women, but, most of all, by themselves. So they collude in keeping quiet about what damages them. The word "conspiracy" derives from the Latin conspirare, "to breathe together." Men breathe silently together to protect their frightened souls, prolonging the wounding of all.

Again, one comes to the issue of honesty. Individual men must risk speaking the truth, their personal truth, for it will be the truth for many others. An old Chinese saying suggests that the one who speaks the right word will be heard a thousand miles away. For men to stop lying, to stop participating in the conspiracy of silence, they must risk showing their pain. Others may, reflexively, leap to shame them, or, out of their own fear, disassociate from them. But in time all will come to thank those who speak their truth aloud.

Thank you, K and D.

8 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of speaking your truth. Thanks for this great post, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This insecurity can be pretty crippling and prevent some guys from forming healthy, good relationships with people of either gender. Crazy thing is, it's all in our heads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post. I certainly relate to it. I'm glad my father nutured in me a love of nature, people, family, music and the taste of delicious things. It has helped in so many ways over the decades. But I also relate to and often feel the conspiracy to deny some of my feelings and to remain silent. Here's how I hear the words to an old Beatles song:

    Here I stand head in hand
    Turn my face to the wall
    If he's gone I can't go on
    Feelin' two-foot small

    Everywhere people stare
    Each and every day
    I can see them laugh at me
    And I hear them say

    Hey you've got to hide your love away
    Hey you've got to hide your love away

    How can I even try
    I can never win
    Hearing them, seeing them
    In the state I'm in

    How could he say to me
    Love will find a way
    Gather round all you clowns
    Let me hear you say

    Hey you've got to hide your love away
    Hey you've got to hide your love away

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think a big part of feminism is the emotional liberation of men. i have a poster to that effect on my wall. i have a spare one. you can have it if you want jon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. I am so grateful for the women of the past who have fought for all of the opportunities that I now have. I'm all for girl power, and I think we have a definite historical precedence for needing to fight for equality. But with all the focus on helping women, I totally agree men have been left behind now, in many areas. It's unfortunate for them, and also unfortunate for those of us trying to date men, and build emotional connections when our capacities to do so are very different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely agree with about a million points in this post!

    I've never liked the comments made all the time in church about women's spiritual superpowers. I've always thought it felt patronizing to women, and insulting to men. I think we all owe each other more respect than that.

    And while men still have the upper hand in social power, that doesn't justify the emotional repression that's pretty obviously going on... A repression that's probably a root cause of many societal problems, if we stop to think about it for a minute. I mean, we all need emotional outlets, so when people can't just deal honestly with their emotions, they find other, typically less healthy, ways of dealing.

    Such a shame, when I think most women find it very attractive when a guy is actually capable of honestly expressing himself... (Because, of course, men should only seek emotional stability for the sake of impressing women, and there's definitely nothing ironic or sexist in that idea... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon,

    I loved what you had to say and the quote you offered. I dread both Mother's Day and Father's Day for these reasons. It's like two regularly scheduled days where we throw out doctrine in favor of culture cliche and platitudes that don't hold up under reason or revelation.

    On both days, I get the feeling I'm supposed to be ashamed of being a man. When I was growing up, Mother's Day had a song for mothers. Father's Day the congregation sang "O My Father". No one could find songs about fathers.

    Last year, the women got nice plants. The men got a can of Dad's root beer.

    I was talking about this with someone last night. What is a man? Everything I could think of good to say about men were things I thought would be good attributes for women: strong, independent, athletic, problem-solving, hearty,
    playful. I don't mind borrowing some of the stereotypical female things for myself: expressive, artistic, connected to friends, nurturing, patient. All good things to which I aspire.

    Good post, Jon. Check this one: http://www.ohzion.com/?p=16

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rex, long time no talk. Good to hear from you. :)

    ReplyDelete