Monday, August 30, 2010

My first journal entry

I pulled out my old journal recently and did some perusing. I actually fairly consistently wrote in my journal growing up due to the fact that my mom wouldn't let us watch Punky Brewster on Sunday nights unless we wrote in our journals and read our scriptures. Remember when Henry has health issues and loses custody of Punky and she has to go back to Fenster Hall, but then she gets placed with a really wealthy foster family who makes her wear fancy dresses to dinner in their dark dining room and she has to eat oysters! Oh man. They don't make TV like they used to. Of course I was going to write in my journal. Are you kidding me? So here's my first journal entry. I was six years old and the date of the entry is March 4, 1984. I dictated while my mom transcribed:

My school teacher is Mrs. Grant. My friends are Corry Ellertson, Brandon Green, Matt Lawson, Natalie Packer, Jacob Shortino, (Who I had a huge crush on in 6th grade along with all the other girls) Casie Moffett (I have no idea who this is) and Tracee ? . A boy named Michael Howard kissed me and hugged me when I came to school. My favortie thing in school is rest time. School is fun. I like Mrs. Grant. She is a good teacher. My primary teacher is Brother Davenport. Sometimes we don't even have a lesson because a boy named Rustin Pomeroy plays around too much. The people in my class are Rustin, Nicki, Corry, Brandon, Trevor, and me! There are no girls in my class. Hooray!

My brother is Matt and he is 8 years old. My sisters are Laurie and she is 11 years old and Taralee is one year old. The things I like to do are: play with my people (miniature Bert, Ernie, Star Wars men) things I don't like to do are go swimming (I threatened to run away on more than one occasion to try and get out of going to swimming lessons and was really insulted when my mom offered to help me pack) or skating or conduct in family home evening. My favorite foods are (are you ready for this) beef jerky, pizza, oatmeal, spaghetti, toast, tacos, hamburgers, all kinds of chips, and cold cereal. Foods I hate are peas, beans, casserole, corn, and tomatoes.

There are some telling things in that first entry.

18 comments:

  1. Casserole? How could you not like casserole?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. the passcode I just had to fill out was "chips" no lie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an old man, LizzyHouse. An OLD man.

    I know, you'd think that growing up in the book of mormon belt I would have loved casserole. Maybe it was just a foreshadowing of rebellious things to come...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My favortie thing in school is rest time."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha my favorite thing in school was/is rest time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember that Punky Brewster episode. It was a riot when that oyster fell down her fancy dress, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan was Punky Brewster one year for halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I was also in Miss Grant's kindergarten class.
    2. I remember playing with you then, I am a little insulted I wasn't listed as a friend.
    3. I remember everyone tried to kiss you in kindergarten because you were just too dang cute.
    4. I also remember your eyelashes being ridiculously long, and I was jealous of them.

    :) Looking forward to more entries!!

    P.S. You are forgiven, as you were six when you wrote this... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.P.S. If you want, I have pictures.... Let me know if I should send them your way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Matt, I'm so glad you remember that episode too.

    Sara, Megan would make such a fantastic Punky Brewster.

    Ruth, I'm sure I just hadn't made it to your side of the classroom yet. :) And yes. I for sure want to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. <3 Do you remember that episode of Punky Brewster where she went into that cave and Margeaux and Cherie and that blond kid got possessed by some...cave demon? Oh, you don't? Well then...LET ME REMIND YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRf6hjm9hvU&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha...geoffrey! i knew you were going to make a comment about that cave episode! jon, this is one of my all time favorite blog posts of yours. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy hell! I don't remember that episode. I've probably blocked it from my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are not gay and in this entry is the proof. ALL TRUE GAYS LOVE TO SKATE.
    THE END.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is way too precious... I wish my mom had made me write in my journal when I was six.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love that you wrote some boy kissed you. what did your mom say?

    ReplyDelete