Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Goodbye, I Love You

I've been listening to John Dehlin's interview of Carol Lynn Pearson. If you're not familiar, Carol Lynn is a Mormon poet/author/playwrite. She married Gerald Pearson, who was gay, in the 60's. She knew about his sexuality before getting married, but it was a different time and they decided to go ahead with it. Long story short, the marriage didn't last and Gerald ended up contracting AIDS and Carol Lynn invited him back home so she could care for him as he died. It's a beautiful story. She wrote a book about her courtship and marriage to Gerald up to the very end. It's called Goodbye, I Love You.

I remember hearing about the book when I was at BYU. I checked it out from the Provo library and read it all in one night outside somewhere where I could find some light. I think it was on a curb outside a Best Buy or something like that. I was too afraid to take the book back to my apartment because it had the word homosexual on it. I cried and cried and cried as I read it. It was one of the first things I read that even attempted to explore and understand and show some compassion for the situation I found myself in.

Listen to the interview and read the book. It's well worth your time. The following is an excerpt from a Walt Whitman poem that is in the book and that Carol Lynn reads in the interview.

O to speed where there is space enough
And air enough at last!
To be absolv'd from previous ties and
conventions....
To escape utterly from others' anchors
and holds!
To drive free! To love free!
To dash reckless and dangerous!
To court destruction with taunts, with
invitations!
To ascend, to leap to the heavens of the
love indicated to me!
To rise thither with my inebriate soul!
To be lost if it must be so!
To feed the remainder of life with one hour
of fulness and freedom!
With one brief hour of madness and joy.

4 comments:

  1. it feels good to be understood.

    love is a many splendored thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember, like it was yesterday, the first time I read a book that told what was, in some ways, my story. I thought, "I'm not the only one". It was a life-changing moment. I was a teenager at the time; through the next few years, which were horribly difficult ones for me, I clung to that book. Without that simple knowledge that it wasn't just me, I think I would've probably gone insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonny- she is great. Of course I have been a fan since My Turn on Earth:) Love you, Nat

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Mormon Stories interview was great...

    I read Goodbye, I Love You in 1988 or 1989, just before coming out to my parents. It is an amazing book.

    Carol Lynn Pearson is awesome, because she stays grounded in real peoples' stories... That is so powerful!

    ReplyDelete