Sunday, August 15, 2010

Let's get physical redux

On Saturday, Courtney and I went to a boot camp class at the gym. Let me just set the record straight up front by saying that gym classes and I are not friends. All through middle school and high school, I would get physically ill during the period before gym. Sick to my stomach. Part of it had to do with the fact that I felt like I would have to spend another hour humiliating myself and the other part had to do with the fact that one time a guy in my gym class thought it would be funny to walk up behind me on the field and hold a three inch blade to my throat.

The happiest day of my middle school life was when I broke my arm and instead of making me play basketball (which was really me just trying as hard as I could to look like I knew what I was doing while at the same time staying as far away from the ball as possible) my gym teacher took pity on me and gave me a stopwatch and a whistle and told me to just sit on the bench and blow the whistle to rotate games while my arm healed. That was the best 6 weeks of gym I ever had.

Courtney and I usually go to a step class Saturday morning and right after step is boot camp. I've been thinking that I need to shake up my workouts a bit and so I suggested we try out boot camp. And we did. Saturday morning. Holy hell. There are some seriously crazy people in that class. That trainer guy had us do some insane duck walking crap down the full length of the basketball court and he worked our abs until I was either laughing hysterically or crying. I'm still not sure which. It also occurred to me that MNJ and MH probably do that crap in their sleep.

At one point, Courtney and I had the following conversation:

Courtney: Will you revive me if I pass out in a pool of my own sweat?
Me: And possibly urine?
Courtney: Yes, because I might have wet my pants too at this point. I'm not sure. I'm kind of having an out of body experience.
Me: 2-3 minutes of uncontrollable laughing/crying.

The trainer man gave us a high five after the class was over. Christina asked us if we were going back. We both said yes. Oh, so you liked it, Christina asked. Nope, we both said. We are determined though, to do the duck walk the full length of that damn basketball court.

14 comments:

  1. hahaha. so I had this misconception that this:
    Duck Walking
    is what you were doing.

    Thanks to nike for clearing that up on the related videos. My image of a boot camp with people vogue-duck walking has been ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to boot camp for a long time. The only thing I remember is being exhausted after the 15 minutes warm up of lunging, duck walking, skipping, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did this class 2 times in college with some woman teacher. her insane chipperness was the only thing that kept me coming back. if she can be chipper than i can get in shape just to spite her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, thanks for the video. That is basically what we did but without the arms and maybe a little bit less hip hoppy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, good for you guys!

    They didn't make me take PE in middle or high school, for obvious reasons... But I'm pretty sure that in elementary school, there were people who LOVED having me in their class on PE day. If you didn't want to play the game, you just hung out on the sidelines and "kept Kristine company." A perfect, built-in excuse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That class was terrible. And amazing. And we will definitely be able to clearly measure our improvement.

    Another bonus of the class, I am so sore, I can't even consider exercising again 'til Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. when they break out the plyometrics, just leave. I've never had my bladder scream for mercy so loudly in my life. And I've carried three big babies to full term. Maybe that's why my bladder was whimpering. I'm so glad you have this (incorrect) image of my toughness. Maybe we shouldn't meet. I'd hate for that to be shattered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bunch of cry baby wossies! There is an instructor that they have nicknamed the natzie fitness queen-i get this real warm fuzzy feeling inside when my classes compare me to her - but I'm not sure if it's the natzie part or the queen part. Either way it's a win win for me right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooo i mean nazi! all that blood pumping to my bulging muscles - makes one a bit dim sometimes . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. You probably should toss in the arm action next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good thinking. It will burn more calories and it will probably make me the most popular boy at boot camp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fo sho.

    all the people will circle round you, a big black guy pops up to drop a sick beat, and the trainer won't be able to resist her need to positively re-enforce despite your sudden outbreak of fierce-ness with a "WORK IT GURRRL!".

    you will probably have to tell all them boys to stop jockin on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup, you pretty much just described my boot camp dream.

    ReplyDelete