Wednesday, August 11, 2010

How to disagree

I've heard it said that you can tell the health/potential success/failure of a marital relationship by how the couple argues or disagrees with each other. I think that statement applies to any kind of relationship. Person to person, person to entity, entity to entity. This also applies to discussions (I use that word loosely) surrounding gay marriage. I think we all probably knew that the passing of Prop 8 in 2008 definitely did not signal the end of that discussion. I think we all probably also know that Prop 8 being overturned also does not signal an end. These discussions are far from over. Just thinking about that makes me a little bit tired.

I find some hope though, in people who choose to engage like the following example. This is an excerpt from a recent post by John G-W. The post isn't necessarily talking specifically about gay marriage, but I think he has some wise words for all of us, no matter where we stand or how we feel about the topic of gay marriage.

At one point in my life, I wearied myself and burned myself out trying to defend myself from homophobic attacks and criticisms. I felt the need to justify my existence and my love for my husband by arguing with interpretations of scripture or religious viewpoints that condemned me. But ultimately those efforts fed a kind of hopelessness. When I learned to turn to the Lord, to surrender to him my doubts and fears, and to ask for his help, I found flowing into me the “peace of God, which passeth all understanding” (Philippians 4: 7). I learned that ultimately, it is impossible to communicate or justify verbally the most important things about who I am, and why the love I share with my husband is important and valuable and a gift of God, and why it has a place in God's creation and ultimately in God's eternal kingdom. I understand that God knows the answers to these questions, and simply demands of me trust that his knowing will gradually become our knowing, but only as we walk a bit further in the path of love. I understand that all knowing in this world is partial until we have walked in faith first. So when people speak words that are judgmental and hurtful and false; when people say things or behave in ways that demean me or hurt me; I understand that whatever I might say in my own defense will always be partial; will never capture the fullness of who I am or God's purposes for me; and to do so is to fail to trust what God has revealed to me in the stillness and silence.

In that stillness, I find an endless reservoir of love to offer back for the misunderstanding and unkindness. In the stillness I find myself beckoned on by the vision of Zion, of a Kingdom of Love in which I, and my husband and our son have a place and role to play. I find the patience to begin to live in that kingdom, even when no one else around me – even my dearly beloved brothers and sisters in the Church – don't see it yet or understand my place in it. I find the strength to face challenges in my relationship with my husband; to be a guide and an example to our teenage son; to make our home a shelter in the storms of life that all of us have to face, and that few of us can find the strength to face without the love and nurture that only a family can provide. And I find the hope to speak out, to tell my story, to seek out and build community, to make a difference, to be a voice and a presence in a world that might otherwise leave me cynical and hopeless.

All of this begins with being faithful. That faithfulness includes refusing to see the Church, however imperfect its leaders or members, as the source of my problems, but rather the vehicle through which all my highest and deepest hopes and aspirations can be achieved. Sheltering and protecting hope and listening to the Spirit are the most important work we do. All other good works flow from that inward, invisible work. If we have the faith, hope and love that emanate from a dynamic relationship with a living God, we will have the discernment we need to evaluate and engage in other good works, which may include items from the traditional activist's laundry list: demonstrating and working to raise awareness, talking to friends and family, writing letters to leaders, giving money to good causes, voting and encouraging others to vote. But it will also help us discern when it is time to take a step back and wait, to offer an olive leaf, to listen and simply to pray. We may be led unconventionally. And in the end our salvation will certainly come from unexpected quarters and in ways we never would have believed, to help us know who is its author and to give him the glory he is due.

4 comments:

  1. Honestly, I've been really disappointed by the level of discussion at my own blog on this issue. Plenty of people talk a good game about disagreeing, but in practice, disappointingly, they're too blinded by their own self righteousness to understand that a conversation is even required. "Hooray for me, I'm right" isn't logic--neither is intolerance for anyone who disagrees with you. Most of the discussion I've seen seems to center on, to quote one poster, "educating" people who are "wrong". That's what makes me tired! Ugh!

    Thanks for posting this; it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're just impressed about how MNJ and I handled our disagreement in public view. I know, I know, you've never known such grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, too often each side is more concerned about "educating" than they are about listening and seeking to understand. Lame.

    Mandi, I was going to use your post as another example, but you took it down. :)

    ReplyDelete