Friday, September 24, 2010

Links of love

These will be internet links, not sausage links, although I could probably actually go for some sausage links right now. It's almost lunch time. Next Friday is my birthday and my coworkers are taking me to lunch and I have to decide where we're going. I am considering Tasty n Sons because just like its name suggests, it's quite tasty. They actually just do brunch from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm, which is probably why I have sausage links on the brain. (Keep your unsavory jokes to yourself)

On to the actual links. My friend Christina sent me a link to this NY Times article titled Showing Gay Teenagers a Happy Future. That's definitely something I can get behind. Apparently, the columnist Dan Savage has started a YouTube channel called the "It Get's Better Project". The idea behind it is for well adjusted gay adults to let their much younger counterparts know that even though life might be unbearable as a gay teen, it can and does in fact get better. You can carve out a beautiful and fulfilling life for yourself although it might be different than what you had anticipated or what friends and family might expect from you. I haven't watched any of the videos yet, but it's on my "to do" list.

Also, I have been listening to this podcast from Mormon Stories. John Dehlin hosts a panel of active Mormons who didn't necessarily support Prop 8 (yes, there are active Mormons who didn't/don't support Prop 8). The panel includes BYU student Cary Crall, Morris Thurston (a lawyer who wrote this response to "Six Consequences of Prop 8 Fails"), and Laura Compton, who I believe runs the blog Mormons for Marriage. They take phone calls from listeners during the podcast, some of whom did support Prop 8. The conversation is interesting and informative and incredibly civil. Listen to it on your commute or something.

My friend Krisanne sent me a link to these talks that were given in some Mormon congregations in Oakland, California. The talks were given and information shared in an effort to one, heal the ugly divide in their congregations that has resulted from Prop 8 and two, to help create more understanding on the topic of homsexuality. I really wish more leaders would more proactively address the issue because I'm afraid it's not going to just go away.

There is a lot of stuff to consume in those links. Dig in!

3 comments:

  1. Tasty & Sons opened for dinner earlier this month.

    You *must* watch the video from Dan Savage and his partner. Loved it.

    Yes, Laura C runs MormonsforMarriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving the "it gets better project". i had no idea dan was gay.... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete