Monday, April 12, 2010

Ni Hao

I made it to Hong Kong and G and I are watching Thomas & Friends. I'm surprised I don't feel more exhausted right now. Yesterday was one long day. It's amazing to me that I traveled 15 hours into the future. Backwards. And that Monday just kind of never happened. Or Sunday just morphed into Monday and the sun never set. I was telling this to Tara when I got here last night and she gave me a cheesy frown smile and told me the sun would never go down on me. And then we sang some Elton John.

The plane ride was so long. I flew from Portland to Seattle to Seoul to Hong Kong. The last 3.5 hours from Seoul to HK was the longest flight ever. I was dozing in and out of consciousness and each time I thought I had dozed off for a long time, but really I think it was never more than 5 minutes. On the flight from Seattle to Seoul, I was surrounded by babies/toddlers. The one right next to me was pretty restless and so was her mom. At one point both of them had some part of them resting on me. I just put in my ear buds and watched Up in the Air, Nine and Crazy Heart. All movies I had been wanting to see. Now I just need to see the Hurt Locker.

My brother-in-law Owen picked me up at the airport and we got to Tara and Owen's apartment at almost 1:00 am. I probably got to bed by about 2:00 and then was wide awake at 5:30 am. Awesome. So I listened to a Mormon Stories podcast while waiting for everyone else to wake up. This morning we went for a little walk and I got a tour of the neighborhood. G is a bit of a celebrity. Everyone wants to say hi to him.

Anyway, it's time to go take a shower. More to come from the the 15 hour future.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds fun!! Say hi to the sis for me. Reminds me of when we were in CA, a certain population really was interested in saying hi to the V, with his buttermilk complexion and white hair. :) Hope your trip is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Hong Kong! So jealous you're there! Write a lot about it, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous!! Give G and the little lady a few smooches and squeezes for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome to asia! My asia! I remember waking up on the floor that first morning in Korea and being so blown away by how VERY different everything felt. Like the sun felt new and completely different from the Salt Lake Sun as it sparked from the jutting 50 story buildings. Everything was new. New smells. New air. New trees and grass and cars. I can't wait to hear your take on Hong Kong. I love it there. XOXO to tara too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you finally made it to HK. Looking forward to the updates along the way! Let's get a group together to watch The Hurt Locker when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't decide if the babies are better or worse than having to sit by a fat person.... hmmm.

    I have a new nephew that was born yesterday - his name is Thomas, and his older brother tells everyone that he is named after Thomas the Tank Engine! It's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, this is completely unrelated to anything... but I just found your blog and consequently your fish... and I fed your fish. And it made me laugh-snort. Thanks for letting me feed your fish. :)

    ReplyDelete