Friday, March 4, 2011

the flower of consciousness

A while back I did this post of Eckhart Tolle quotes.  The other day, David sent me a link to an Eckhart video on YouTube and I've been watching some of the other videos of Tolle that are available there.  I can't remember which video it was now, but in one of them he says something like a failed story is the flower of consciousness.  I think we too often get wrapped up in not failing or in doing what we think is expected of us.  If something happens to us that we would categorize as a failure, the temptation is to view it as something negative instead of something that can lead us to greater consciousness.

Some might view being gay as a failure or not being able to successfully become straight a failure.  I was certainly in that camp at one point in my life.  It feels so much better though, to extract myself from that narrative, to not feel like I need to be identified by it or classify it as a struggle but to let it be and to listen to it and see what greater self awareness it can bring about who I am and who I can be.

Like I said, I can't remember which video had the flower of consciousness quote, so here's another video I like that kind of explores the same thing: not getting wrapped up in the content or the drama in our lives or letting it define who we are, but to extract ourselves from it in order to achieve a higher level of consciousness.



Also, I've been going to a personal trainer.  He does Cirque du Soleil style hand balancing.  Here's a video of him:



He hasn't taught me how to do any of that yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.  When he does, I'll be happy to perform at your birthday parties, work functions and bar mitvah's.

9 comments:

  1. is your trainers name Keph?! Good thing that my birthday isn't until November - you've got plenty of time to learn and practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. That is his name, but he's male and he's not your sister-in-law. I never made the connection that they have the same name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was supremely mind-opening. Thanks for sharing Jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eckhart teaches us to enjoy the dance of forms. And then you give us a dance of forms to enjoy. Perfect.

    P.S. I hope you dance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want one of him. Two, if they're in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh hey a guy i know from my birthday weekend, does cirque du soleil.

    know in the biblical sense! jk. or am i!?

    You do the acrobatics and i'll do chinese yo-yo. We will have a cirque du soleil:mormonia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon.... I think we all know why you wanted him as your trainer... Also... How long did you have to creep on youtube to find videos of your stalkee?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not very long, as he sent me the link. :)

    ReplyDelete