Thursday, October 1, 2009

For the 'rents

32 years ago today my mom gave birth to me. I was born at 7:11 AM and weighed 7 pounds and 11 ounces. Any numerologists out there that can tell me what that means? It’s gotta be something good, right? Sometimes I like to just say that I was born at 7-11 and let people assume I mean the convenience store. Actually, I remember last year going shopping last year with friends for fabric for our Halloween costumes (Yeah, it was a very involved Halloween costume. That might be a post for another day. I’ll just say it involved a unitard and furry briefs.) I did the 7-11 joke and we carried the joke even further and said my mom just HAD to stop at 7-11 for a slurpee and some slim-jims on the way to the hospital and out I came.

My relationship with my mother and father has morphed over the years, as it should. They will probably tell you I was their easiest child. I never got in trouble. There was that one time in high school that involved the police (another post for another day), but they didn’t really punish me. We drove home after the police released me to my parents and they just said something like, “We probably don’t need to tell you how dumb that was.” Other than that though, I never gave my parents any reason to stress.

That kind of changed when I hit my 20’s. It all started with me dropping the gay bomb, followed by intermittent crises that most likely WON’T be other posts for other days. Suffice it to say, I more than made up for being a model child with the misadventures of my 20’s.

As I look back though, I realize that my parents have hardly, if ever, pressured me to date or marry a woman. They never really pressured me to try and change my attractions. As I look back, more of that pressure probably came from me. This isn’t to say that my parents are perfect. I’m sure they would be willing to admit that they’re not, as would my siblings. I think a difficult part of growing up is realizing that there isn’t a magical age when you suddenly know everything and become a perfectly responsible adult who knows how to handle every situation. Just like everyone else, my parents are no an exception to that.

So now I’m in my 30’s and I can feel our relationship maturing, especially over the last several months. I'm learning to let go of the ridiculous and unrealistic expectations of who I’d like them to be and to love them for the beautiful people that they are. Thanks for bringing me into the world. I love you!

12 comments:

  1. You are lucky to have such understanding and chill parents, Jon. They are a rare breed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should clarify, the picture above is not my mother. That's my friend Stina. I don't know who the baby is. And I hope I never meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for days of self relfections. especially when they involve cake and gifts! happy birthday!~!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cap....
    Happy Happy Birthday... It is so fun reading your blog... you are pretty much the best amateur blogger that I know... Hope you had a good day and we should get together soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. #2 son was also 7-11. Should I draw any conclusions? He's only 2 so I won't venture just yet.
    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well... the number 7 represents The Chariot, guided by two horses, frequently trying to go different directions. As the driver, you find that the more you try to control the situation and the horses, the worse it is. Let go, let fate take its course, and enjoy the ride.

    The number 11 represents Justice. This is often associated with all things relating to rules: following them, breaking them, figuring out how to incorporate a constructive set of rules into your life, how to understand the rules given to you and going through the natural process of rejecting some or all of them and then accepting some or all of them back into your life.

    I don't know that the time one was born means anything, but if this is your birthday in 1977, then your personal numerological symbol is 17, which represents The Star. It means that you follow a path, that you seek to do the right thing, and live your life for a higher purpose. You are guided and receptive to guidance ("you are following your star"). This is often associated with people who are protected by God and/or have particular gifts of spirit.

    Last year for you (roughly, but not precisely, birthday to birthday) would have been The Year of the Hanged Man (12). The Hanged Man represents a vast and possibly life-altering change or shift in perspective, gaining new insights and understanding. There are usually religious or spiritual overtones to this.

    This coming year for you is the year of Death (13), which represents a great transformation and rebirth with whole new potential and opportunity. Enormous changes - ones that constitute the imagery of the "hero journey," where you travel through the underworld in order to emerge heroic.

    Interesting stuff, huh? There's some numerology for you. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the best, most flattering picture of Christina I have ever seen. Happy birthday Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday yesterday!! (711 is also the year the Moors conquered Spain, so maybe that's significant... My Spanish teacher in high school made horrifically racist jokes about the Moors working at 711 to help us remember that date... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Thanks Kristine, I too will now always remember when the Moors conquered Spain...

    ReplyDelete