Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I'm an athlete


I was called an athlete for the very first time today. Ask anyone who had a gym class with me in middle school or high school and they will tell you I am not an athlete. The best day of my angst ridden middle school life was when I broke my arm on the soccer field during gym.

The weather was just starting to turn and that meant gym class moved inside and we'd be playing basketball. Basketball was my least favorite because it was the hardest for me to fake. I could run around and kick a soccer ball or pretend to play football, but basketball involved handling a ball while moving my feet at the same time. Most of gym class was spent trying to make sure I was covered by a player of the opposing team so no one would pass the ball to me. I probably actually expended more energy pretending to play basketball than those who actually DID play.

Anyway, back to the happiest day of my life. My first day back in class after breaking my arm we started playing basketball. I tried, and about 5 minutes into the game the ball came at my face. Of course. I tried to block it from hitting my face with my broken arm that was now in a cast and quickly learned that having my whole arm in a cast severely limited it's mobility. Long story short, the ball hit me in the face. Please don't ask me why I didn't just use my other arm.

My gym teacher, who was probably watching from his office, took pity on me. He brought out a stop watch and a whistle and asked if I could sit on the bench, since I had a broken arm, and be the time keeper. THAT was the best day of my life. Up to that point, anyway.

Today we had voluntary health assessments at work. I've been working hard at getting in better shape the last year or two, so I was curious to see what my body fat percentage was. The nice lady gave me the video game controller looking thingy and when it beeped she said, while pointing to a graph, "13.9%, that means you're an athlete."

12 comments:

  1. Nice.... so does that mean you have a 6 pack too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, the 13.9% likes to gather around my midsection, so as to conceal the six pack that lies beneath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont think i've ever had 13.9% body fat...i'm pretty sure i was born with at least 14%.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably have some of those same numbers.... but mine might be in the form of 31.9... Anyone who has seen you run during trick or treating could not deny your athlete status. :) Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Or anybody who saw me running through the HHS parking lot after Peter Pan rehearsals doing my Indian yell also could not deny my athlete status.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been hit in the face with a ball during gym class more times than I can count. The best day of my life was the day I realized how uncomfortable male gym teachers get when you tell them you're on your period.

    Congratulations on overcoming middle school and becoming an athlete!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Jon, can I join your entourage of blog admirers and friends? Please? :) (You can stalk me in return if you want, but I'll need an email address to send a blog invite.)

    I have a tender spot on my head that's easily irritated by blow dryers... I'm absolutely convinced it's from the millions of times in elementary school that a wayward ball would hit me in the back of the head, digging my hideous, homemade, early 90s hair bows down into my skull.

    But way to be an athlete! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course, Kristine! I just sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, I love that you mention expending energy making sure you were covered by opponents in basketball. I did the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so the zumba and step aerobics paid off!! you're an athlete!! congrats! ~desha

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, I may be going a totally different direction here, but I'm totally impressed with the 13.9%!! (Even if it is just around the middle :)

    ReplyDelete