Monday, May 23, 2011

an eternity of now

Sometimes I find the idea of living forever completely exhausting and depressing. I think this feeling started to surface when I started exploring and questioning what I really do and don’t believe, especially about what happens after this life. Think about it though, existing for-ev-er is a really long time, especially when I really have no idea what a next life would look like and really only have this life to go on.

I’ve come to appreciate the idea that every moment is perfect and is exactly what I need, if I am just patient and present with the moment and listen to what it has to teach me. The other day I was wondering if maybe there won’t be a separation into kingdoms as rewards in the next life, but that maybe we’ll all end up in the same place. Maybe the separation will only come from our own ability or inability to appreciate the now.

If you’re able to find and appreciate the beauty in each moment, you’ll probably be more successful at enjoying eternity than if you were constantly wishing for a better situation or for whatever might come next. Maybe if I were better at finding the beauty in each moment then eternity wouldn’t sound so exhausting…

5 comments:

  1. Neal Maxwell used to have a saying: "Mind the moment and eternity will take care of itself." I think we can modify his saying to say: live in the moment and eternity will take care of itself. I don't think Neal would mind about us changing his "mind."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon,

    I think you're really on to something here. My biggest worries as a mostly post-mormon person tend to revolve around the afterlife and my worries about not only my position in said world(s), but also if there is one.

    We've come to the same conclusion, my friend. It's about the beauty of now, not about the beauty or horror of something I have absolutely no knowledge about or control over such as the afterlife.

    That's why yoga has become such a spiritual event for me. I focus on being present in my body and mind without thoughts, specifically worries. It's been great so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. That's why I love yoga too. There's something about being in my body and making it work and stretch and then lying still at the end and feeling a sense of transcendence that comes from allowing body and spirt to work together instead of against each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when I was younger asking my mom if God would give us an extended vacation from heaven. The thought of never ending time made me think Id get bored of existence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was talking about this same thing yesterday with my friend cordelia. like, what is forever supposed to be like, and can we understand that now kind of thing. it was cool.

    ReplyDelete