Tuesday, May 17, 2011

sherri wants to live with me

Sunday afternoon I sat down on my couch to watch some TV and noticed an envelope taped to my sliding glass door.  I retrieved it and found a hand written letter inside that said the following:

Hello my name is Sherri and my mother lives in the unit directly across from you.  She informed me that in the recent past you had a roommate and may possibly be looking for another, since the previous roommate has moved.  I just moved back home to Oregon  after living in California for several years.  I will be looking for my own place of course, over the course of the summer, however, in the meantime, I am looking for a room to rent.

I am 37 years old.  I work as a veterinary surgical nurse, however, I do not own any pets.  I am a non-smoker and I do not use drugs of any kind.  I am clean and you will find that I am hardly ever home.  In closing, please call me if you are interest.

Sincerely,
Sherri

PS How does it feel to have craigslist come to you? LOL

I'll be honest with you, Sherri, the envelop taped to my sliding glass door was a little creepy.  I felt this urge for the rest of the day to close the blinds. 

Now I have several questions.  I realize that it's not unheard of for people of the opposite sex to be roommates, but I would think it would happen when there was already some kind of established friendship or at the very least an acquaintanceship.  I find it odd that a woman would want to move in with a man she knows nothing about.

My other question is if your mother lives across from me, why don't you move in with her? 

I'm kind of tempted to take her up on her offer and then make things as weird as possible.  Like keep jars of urine on the shelf, or hang out in my Snuggie with nothing on underneath, or pretend like I have Tourrette's, or keep a blow up doll around the house and act like she's real (Lars and the Real Girl style).  I could also resurrect Jarrett's severed arm from last summer. 

12 comments:

  1. I'm kind of tempted to take her up on her offer and then make things as weird as possible. Like keep jars of urine on the shelf, or hang out in my Snuggie with nothing on underneath, or pretend like I have Tourrette's, or keep a blow up doll around the house and act like she's real (Lars and the Real Girl style). I could also resurrect Jarrett's severed arm from last summer.

    And then you discover that she was just waiting for someone to show her that it's OK to store jars of her own urine everywhere.

    Stories involving jars of urine anywhere but a medical lab simply never end well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, Holly. And that's how it would end up, my plan would backfire and it would only serve to make her feel comfortable unleashing her weirdness on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do it! and then document the bizarre hilarity that insues and make millions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, WOW! Sounds like she grew up in a culture that is even worse with boundaries than Mormons are. Some problems I see, in addition to the ones you already mentioned, in no particular order:

    1) Her mom seems to be paying a bit too much attention to who's at your house,

    2) If she's hardly ever home, will she be looking to pay reduced rent?

    3) Did she leave a way to contact her? If not, are you just supposed to leave a letter taped to the sliding glass door of her mom's place? If she left her number, I think it's time to help her out by posting a REAL craigslist ad on her behalf.

    4) Anyone who handwrites "LOL" in a letter is a menace to society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pablo, she actually did include a phone number to contact her, but I had the same thought as you of taping my response to one of her mother's windows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell her your girlfriend wouldn't approve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe she can't live with her mom because her mom has a problem hoarding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's official. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, wants to live with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister always had male roommates. I'll tell you more about it in person if you like. Good times! I would write it all here, but I don't know how open your readership is into the secret lives of men and women who become roommates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hanging out in nothing but a snuggie is weird? ... huh...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally think you should go Lars on her. I can lend you a pink sweater if you need one...

    Yes, the mother across the hall is troubling. I don't get why she wouldn't go live with mom either. Please investigate and report on this.

    ReplyDelete