Monday, May 2, 2011

increasing bandwidth

In my last post, I said that I believe that if we are downloading the gospel, we are probably less than 1% to completion.  I think a lot of members of the church, however, believe that we've already downloaded most, if not all of it. One of the stumbling blocks of Mormonism is the belief of its members that it is the only true church on the face of the earth.  Like I said in my last post, I think it can lead to complacency, which greatly reduces the bandwidth of our connection to the divine. 

I think something that could greatly increase that bandwidth is being open to the fact that we might be wrong and then owning up to it when we discover that we are.  The following TED talk is by Kathryn Schulz and she talks about the importance of embracing our fallibility, and what opens up for us as a result.  Sometimes she seems like she's trying just a smidge too hard to be an engaging speaker, but she has some really great things to say.  Below are some of my favorites:

"Trusting too much in the feeling of being on the correct side of anything can be very dangerous."

"And maybe you thought you were going to grow up and marry your high school sweet heart and move back to your home town and raise a bunch of kids together and something else happened instead."

"This attachment to our own rightness keeps us from preventing mistakes when we absolutely need to and causes us to treat each other terribly."

"For good and for ill, we generate these incredible stories about the world around us, and then the world turns around and astonishes us."

3 comments:

  1. Jon,

    This talk was really great, thank you for posting it.

    I keep thinking of politics and how extreme and somewhat ridiculous people get in the things they say and profess to believe. I think a lot of it has to do with that inner desire to be infallible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally listened to this. To mix things up with This American Life during late evenings at work. It was excellent. Thought provoking and funny. I'm still trying to digest how I can take this information and integrate it into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what do I do? I am actually infallible.

    ReplyDelete