Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My integrity: worth between $6 and $20

Several months ago at work, I found $6 on the ground near my desk. I asked the people near me if it belonged to any of them. Someone said it belonged to a woman I will call Butterfly Kisses because that's a code name I used for her with a friend. I can get along alright with most people, but there are a few people on this earth, with whom I have a very difficult time talking to. At all. Butterfly Kisses is one of them.

Once I took a personality test at work and got my own personalized booklet and one of the things my booklet told me was that I don't respect people who I think ignore reality. I think that might be part of my difficulty with BK.

Either way, when someone said that it was probably hers, I just kept it. I didn't want to have to have to interact with her. I figured enough people knew I found some money and that if she really was looking for her $6, she'd find out who had it. She never did and I kept it in my desk for a while before enough time had passed to make me feel sufficiently comfortable with spending it.

This morning as I was walking to my desk, I found $20 in roughly the same spot that I found the $6 several months before. Again, someone said that it probably belonged to Butterfly Kisses. Apparently, she just walks around with loose bills in her pocket and they are always falling out. Maybe if I just follow her around (at a safe distance) I wouldn't have to work anymore.

Anyway, I couldn't justify keeping the $20 so I went over to her desk and asked if she was missing any money. She said she'd lost $20 this morning and so I handed it over and endured the conversation that followed.

Conclusion: my integrity is worth between $6 and $20.

7 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. There are a few people who I have "hid" on my fb updates because I can no longer endure their ridiculous rants about inane subjects. But then I wonder how many feel that way about me? Like when I send text pics of my kids feeding goats. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have just held on to the $20 longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. complete loss of respect for you - now how will you pay for dinner when i come to visit? i a m s h o c k e d!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name that you call her made me chuckle but when you made the abbreviation BK I laughed out loud at my desk at work.

    I must admit I think my integrity is probably between $1-10. Youve got me beat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess who lives in imagination land?

    It's okay. I ain't need yo respect.

    PS i'm working very slowly on my portraiture so I'm doing very little at a time on multiple people and putting it away before i get bored/sloppy and just zoom through it too fast.

    You are number 3.

    but hopefully it allows me to get better, so i have the skills to truly capture your complete manliness. MEN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i make up nicknames too!!!!!! theres a girl i know that i dont care for, but she doesnt drop money. thats just another reason to not like her. and i bet your intergry could have been worth $20 if it were in smaller bills because you would have been like "its only a couple of $5s". a full $20 seems much bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a decent estimate. I like it.

    ReplyDelete