Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Big Hair

I have been asked to post something new so that the first thing you see when you come to my blog isn’t a creepy doll. So instead of a creepy doll, you get this, a picture of me circa 1991 or 2 ish:
A while back, I posted about some of my childhood/adolescent eccentricities. One of them was how much time I would spend on my hair. For some reason I was self conscious and thought my head was too small; which is funny, because I have a large head. I used a hair dryer and lots of hair spray and made my hair pretty big and puffy. When I was in SLC a couple of weeks ago, I found a family picture that demonstrates the ridiculousness that was my hair. The big round glasses probably don’t help either, but that was the style. I swear.

Also, this is interesting. Christina’s birthday was last week and she got a book. I can’t even really remember the name of the book or what it was really. Just about weird Portland things? Honestly, I was too busy gorging on chips and guac from Por Que No? to pay much attention to anything else that was going on. Anyway, I paused inhaling when I heard something about a self cleaning house. Apparently, there is some lady named Frances Gabe in Roseburg who has a house that cleans itself. Everything in her house is waterproof and she has some kind of sprinkling system that houses down her house and then the floor is slightly angled to the corners so that the water can drain and it has blow dryers to dry everything off (and make stuff big and puffy in case she’s self conscious about it looking too small). I googled this house today and found this NY Times article. I wonder if she’s still around. The article was published in 2002 and she was 86 back then.

9 comments:

  1. in 1991-2 my mother frequently let me out in public in varying shades of neon. also i never combed my hair. i had these weird WEIRD patterned belly shirts, and sweatpant leggings that also had lace on them.

    the saving grace to my wardrobe, and pretty much my entire early 90s life, was that i had a pair on chuck taylors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My barber just went to Vietnam to be with his family till JUNE. And his substitute massacred my hair. My husband came home and told me my hair was "interesting." Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just for the record, it was 1993. I can tell by the earring and half of my face that is showing in the picture. Actually, I just remember that was the family picture right before I left on my mission and that was in 1993.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book is called Oregon Curiosities (fantastic gift Diana) and thanks to another Portland guide book, I actually have Frances Gabe's phone number. We're doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should wear that big hair for halloween. You'll have to start growing it now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I figured you would know exactly when the picture was taken, Laurie. Dang, so that means I would have had that hair my sophomore year in high school. I thought I'd figured things out by then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my MTC comp was from Roseburg.
    You and Mikeal could compete for the big hair- not sure whose would be bigger, but he for sure would win with his paisley shirt and forest green blazer. hhhooottt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to tell you this buddy, but I have a picture of the two of us, probably 1995 or 1996 and your hair is looking rather big there too. I had thought about sending it to you... maybe I'll still do that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally behind in reading your blog. L.O.V.E. the hair. Maybe you should consider going back to this style?

    ReplyDelete