Monday, July 19, 2010

Intergenerational Healing

I’ve never really had a burning in my bosom for the doctrine of redeeming the dead. I mean intellectually, I get it. If you believe that every person needs to be baptized by one having proper authority in order to be saved, then yes, it’s good to have this backup plan for those who might not have had a proper opportunity in their lifetime. I guess it’s never really resonated more deeply than on a mere intellectual level though. Until I read this. Even if you aren’t Mormon or no longer espouse Mormon theology, I think the talk is still well worth the read. To me, it speaks more to the beautiful idea of intergenerational healing.

I think most people would be willing to admit that they carry baggage from their family of origin (FOO), some obviously more than others, but the baggage is there. I think any claim by someone that he or she carries no baggage at all would fall into the unkown unknowns category. Things you don’t know that you don’t know.

At any rate, I believe that the baggage comes from being raised by parents who at best, had no idea what they were doing, and at the very worst, intentionally inflicted abuse and their own buried pain on their children. In many cases, those parents are doing the best they can with what they had because they too were raised by parents who probably spent their fair share of time stewing in emotional dysfunction. And back it goes.

Then I begin to see how I am the product of generations of accrued emotional dysfunction, passive aggressiveness, emotional dishonesty, manipulation, etc. You also add growing up in a state with a high concentration of people with the same beliefs and you get another generous layer of generations of accrued Mormon cultural baggage. I imagine all our ancestors looking down and saying amongst themselves, “Good grief, what the hell did we do?” I imagine them saying that because I think most of it was unintentional, but now that they know what they know, they see and understand the negative aspects of their legacy.

This is where each one of us can step in and redeem them. And this is where redeeming the dead suddenly becomes one of the most beautiful things I can conceive of. I have the opportunity to practice unconditional love and forgiveness of what has been passed on to me and I can deconstruct it and build something much healthier. As a result, I free myself and those who have gone before me from prisons of dysfunction that are partly of our own making and partly inherited from those who have gone before. That’s true sealing power.

6 comments:

  1. this only strengthens the fact, that we truly are here, not strictly for our own salvation, but for each other's.

    we need another marathon conversation soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading a parenting book that's all about exploring your own garbage and coming to terms so you don't end up needlessly and unknowingly harming your own children. It's called "Parenting from the inside out."

    Excellent post. Dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the article in that you linked, and I have to say...Those men are brilliant, I have always wondered whether or not I was smart...Because I have no way of knowing the unknown, and that has always frustrated. I know the known, but the ideology behind the Unknown Unknown is simply mind boggling...I mean, we will NEVER come in contact with one, because the moment we do we then know either the known unknown or the unknown known. It stops being an unknown question and answer as soon as we realize it is there. Sorry I am getting so...I don't know...abstract?? Either way, I enjoy your blog, agree with some of the things you say, as well as having some disagreements. Have an awesome day, sir. You deserve it!
    -BHG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey BHG. Yeah, it's pretty incredible to consider all that we don't know. I think there's a lot. Anyway, glad you don't always agree with me. Feel free to share when you don't. And when you do. Or whenever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been digesting this post and the linked article all week, and still am... I just love it! I hadn't given temple ordinances that kind of thought before. And I've never been interested in family history, or church history and pioneer stories... But this somehow just ties it all together with the Atonement and everything. Not just our parents, but our ancestors for generations have passed down more than just genetics. They've given us a legacy, both for better and for worse, that forms who we are in more ways than we can even identify. I have blessings and strengths and opportunities in my life that are a result of my family, and in the temple, I can honor and thank them for that. I also have all kinds of issues (not just issues... I have volumes!!) that are a result of my family, but in the temple, I can forgive, love, and give them access to the redeeming power of the Atonement.

    It's so beautiful!! Thanks for sharing. :)

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete