Saturday, December 11, 2010

No More Strangers and Foreigners

I just read this opinion piece that was in the Salt Lake Tribune by Bob Rees and Bill Bradshaw. I tried to find it in my reader feed so I could share it in my sidebar but I couldn't so I thought I'd just devote a post to it. The article discusses a study by a woman named Caitlin Ryan about the correlation between family acceptance or rejection of gay family members and the gay family members mental and emotional health as they mature into adulthood. I know, I know, it's kind of sad that we need a study to tell us that familial rejection is bad on the psyche and familial love and support is good on the psyche, but apparently we do need a study to tell us this. Thank you Dr. Ryan for doing it.

I saw Dr. Ryan present the results of her study a couple of years ago when I went to a Sunstone symposium in San Francisco. I remember someone in the audience saying that this is something that the broader church needs to hear and especially in Utah where there seems to be higher rates of suicide and teen homelessness due to family rejection of gay family members. I have no idea if that's actually true, but either way, it's something all of us could benefit greatly from hearing and it made me happy to see an article about Dr. Ryan's study in the Salt Lake Tribune.

I'm guessing most of you know who Bill Bradshaw is because of the lecture he gave recently at BYU on the biology of homosexuality and his interview on Mormon Stories, but Bob Rees might not be as familiar. He is similar to Bill in that he is an active and believing member of the church who is trying to create more understanding in the church on the issue of homosexuality. He wrote a fantastic piece called No More Strangers and Foreigners: A Mormon Christian Response to Homosexuality that is well worth the read if you haven't already read it. I think it's also very palatable to mainstream members of the church, and would be a good thing to share with family members and friends who are getting their feet wet on the subject and want to understand more.

On a side note, my choir had a concert last night. I can't tell you how happy and loved I felt to have Pablo, Konrad, Trevor, James and other friends from church come and support me. Afterwards, we went out for crappy, strip mall Chinese food. I don't know if anyone else appreciated the moment, but it was great to sit and eat with a group of people that consisted of a mix of gay and straight and varying levels of affection and disaffection towards the church. In a way I kind of hope no one else noticed, that it just happened, because that's what we do, we sit down with people who are not like us, and we eat crappy food with each other family style, and we laugh together.

13 comments:

  1. Jon Jon,

    Thank you for posting this. Both of the articles you cited were relevant and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, thanks for sharing those links! I think I may send them along to my folks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That article by Bill Reece blew me away. I have NEVER heard an active LDS church leader speak about homosexuality with such inclusion. I'm definitely passing that one along. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this. I am excited to read that the articles. I had never heard of Bob Rees.

    That sounds like a really cool group to have dinner with. I'll bet you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon,

    The last paragraph is really what made me smile. It is moments like that, that I love the most, when we respect our differences, and just enjoy time with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your concert was awesome by the way ;) Excellent blending, and those were some crazy tenor lines. That was a good (awful) dinner too.

    I actually shared that first article with my mum just a couple of weeks ago. It was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post.

    I enjoyed the articles and I too loved your last paragraph; in Toledo, Nate and I hit it off with one of Nate's fellow law students and his boyfriend. I loved that the four of us, as odd of a pairing it might have looked like, simply enjoyed our time together; it was painful to move away from them and give that up. I'm grateful to have had my eyes opened to those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know Bob Rees, and he is one of the kindest, brightest, most insightful people I've ever met. Would that his voice were better known in the church.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that Rees piece (ha! That honestly wasn't intended to look like reese's pieces.) really is fantastic. Definitely making a mental note for future passing along...

    Also, I feel like I've made this comment before, but I love those blurring of the friendship lines moments. And I can't help wondering if they would happen more often if we weren't so concerned about labeling and categorizing friends into different compartments of our lives. I don't know what exactly we tend to be so afraid will happen if we let our groups of friends mix, but then when we let it happen, it almost always results in deeper, richer relationships and sense of self. Like when the vegetables and mashed potatoes accidentally touch each other on the dinner plate. Or not like that at all. I don't know. I'm done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've crossed a line, Kristine. Mixing vegetables with mashed potatoes is *not* ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the opinion piece. Thanks for posting it Jon!

    I really enjoyed the concert, as did Derek and Hayden. Sounds like I missed out on a rare culinary experience. Wish I could have joined in the post-concert get-together. Next time!

    As for the quality of the music, ditto James' comments. I will add this though... Derek's comments after your second number: "Wow! I thought my middle school choir was good. They're even better!" Out of the mouths of pre-teen boys shall all truth be established. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry. I know, I know, vegetables mixing with mashed potatoes... Next thing you know, we'll have men marrying horses. Slippery slope.

    ReplyDelete