Monday, July 6, 2009

2,398 Calories

My 4th of July weekend was so amazing that I am going to have to split it into two posts. Friday I had the day off, so I hiked Dog Mountain with my friend CC and a couple of his friends. Round trip it ended up being about 7 to 7.5 miles. And those were very steep, and at times gravelly, miles. By the end of the hike, my ankles were jell-o and I kept CC entertained when my ankles would give out every 5 steps. The view at the top, however, makes it all worth it. Here's a picture I took with my phone:



The field you see in the foreground is covered in wildflowers in the spring. So I heard. Either way, the view was amazing. If you want to see a cool panoramic shot taken by someone else, check this out. That lady was not with us. Fanny packs were NOT allowed in our group.
After the hike, we decided we would probably need to stop somewhere for ice cream. As we were driving through the small town of Stevenson, WA, I spotted a place called Granny's Gedunk and decided that was where we needed to stop. Apparently, a gedunk bar is a snack bar on a large US Navy vessel. And yes, we made granny badonkadonk jokes.
I read up on the hike, and I noticed that the site I was on had a calculator where I could put in how much I weigh and it told me how many calories I burned on the hike. 2,398. And now I can't get that minutes song from RENT out of my head. "How can you measure the life of a woman or man? In truths that she learned, or in times that he cried. In calories he burned, or the way that she died."
Coming up next: Blues Fest 2009 featuring Kandye Kane

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is an amazing view! I love to hike and I hear Portland area has some pretty awesome hiking areas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read the next post...

    ReplyDelete