Tuesday, July 7, 2009

God Bless America

This is part two of my 4th of July weekend. For the night of the 4th I went to the Blues Festival. To get an idea of the atmosphere, think state fair except for everybody is drunk. And dancing. Lots of overly tanned and overly exposed wrinkly skin. 90+ degrees. Warm potato salad. Flies. Actually, there were no flies, but if felt like there could have been. This picture should help further illustrate. Here's a picture of a shirtless man leading his shirtless grandson? through the crowd. What you can't see is all the mardi gras beads around his neck. The grandson looks so sad. I imagine that he's visiting his grandpa for the summer and seriously wishing he were back home in Des Moines. Or St. Louis.



Of all the performers I saw that night, Candye Kane was definitely the most charismatic. Meet Candye Kane:

The getup is to promote her new album Superhero. You can hear her sing it if you go here. This lady has a voice the size of the grand canyon. And a chest to match. You can't really tell how big it is in the picture I took, but you can certainly get a fairly good idea by going here. I think they give her magical powers. The woman fought off pancreatic cancer. Her website says her show is "part humor, revival meeting and sexuality celebration". Yes, yes, and yes. She also had these fine ladies backing her up on their saxophones:


The highlight of the evening though, was when my friend CH said, "Um, that's a doll." I turned to look and this is what I saw:


Some lady thought it would be a good idea to come to the Blues Fest with a toddler doll. Dressed in a denim jumper. On her shoulders. She also thought it would be a good idea to wear spurs on her boots. Perhaps the most bizarre moment though, was when I was laying down on our blanket to rest after rocking out to Candye Kane. This lady was trying to get by, and apparently I was in the way. She then did what any woman with a toddler doll would do when someone is in the way. She spanked me.

10 comments:

  1. Holy hell I love the Blues Festival. I love all the scantily clad old hippies dancing drunk. I'm not sure why it makes me happy, but it just does. Sad I missed it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you SERIOUSLY get spanked?! That's freakin hilarious! BTW I'm coming down to Portland for your YSA conference, and bringing a friend or two! Will we get to meet you?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO sorry I missed out on the 4th festivities in P-Town. You did an excellent job documenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, Lizzy. There's something intoxicating about watching people move who are unabashedly comfortable with themselves and their bodies. Of course, the liquid courage helps. Plus, Candye Kane was singing to us telling us how great we are and how God loves us just the way we are.

    EJ, yes, totally got spanked. It would be cool to meet you when you're down here. I'll email you and we can figure out the deets.

    Courtney, Although the blues fest was truly magical, I'm sure Ireland was a nice trade-off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EJ, never mind, you don't have an email listed in your profile. I got an address you can reach me at in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost peed my pants when I read this... where the hell did you find that picture of Candaye Kane?!!?!? HAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. at least she didnt use the spurs....

    ReplyDelete
  8. The internet is a very big place. Google images. Candye Kane. Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops, I thought I had an email link in there, but you were right... I suck haha. But thanks to you, it's fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that was freakin hilarious, it was so funny watching her think about spanking you before she actually did it, you could see the wheels in her head turning, it was like some sort of weird slow motion time stopping thing!

    ReplyDelete