Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Redefining sin and repentance

I really don’t like the words sin and repentance. I think they are two concepts that are completely misunderstood, and therefore the words take on the misunderstood meanings. I think those misunderstood meanings prevent people from making real and transformational changes in their lives.

I say those words and what comes to mind? Awkward interviews with bishops that have a constrictive feeling more than an expansive one. That awful seminary video about the girl who is about to get married and has already sent out wedding invitations but goes a little bit too far with her boyfriend and therefore has to postpone the wedding. The video presents a view of repentance that I think focuses way too much on shame and guilt, two very constrictive feelings. The take away from that video is that to repent means to cry a lot and feel horrible about yourself. I may be exaggerating but that’s kind of how I viewed repentance and I feel like my point of view was largely shaped by bad seminary videos.

Another image that might come to mind is Elder Scott staring directly at me through the camera asking me to pretend like we are alone in a room together, talking one on one. That usually leaves me with more of an unsettled feeling. I wonder if they’ve ever done focus groups to see how people respond to talks like that. I’m guessing I’m not the only one feeling unsettled.

The words sin and repentance might also bring to remembrance talks in our youth that evoke the metaphor of the chewed up piece of gum, or the trampled flower or the cookie with dog crap on it to get us to obey the law of chastity. Not helpful. The reality is that lots of kids are going to mess up. Do we really want to send them the message that if they do, they are now a chewed up piece of gum or a trampled flower or a cookie with dog crap on it that no one is going to want? Probably not.

I think we also limit our view of what sin is to a list of things that you have to go talk to the bishop about. I recently heard a testimony of a girl who said she was flipping through the scriptures one night and kept landing on verses about repentance. She said she wondered what was going on because she felt like she had nothing to repent of. I’m sure she would freely admit that she’s not perfect, but I think what she said illustrates how we limit our repentance to that confession worthy list. I think that line of thought holds us back.

A few months back a friend sent me a talk by Wendy Ulrich called Journey of the Soul. This one is definitely worth reading. I’ve been chewing on it ever since and feel like it provides a view of repentance that goes beyond merely controlling behavior or checking off the three R’s or whatever. It’s about actual foundational transformation, about dismantling those things that we engage in that are self defeating or self limiting. She begins by alluding to Nephi and his family leaving Jerusalem. Here’s a little paragraph to give you a taste of what the talk is about:

Thus begins Nephi’s journey away from Jerusalem, a city steeped in the “tradition of the fathers” as the scriptures call those habits of unrighteousness that pass from one generation to the next unless someone makes the deliberate choice to dismantle them. Usually my own spiritual journeys have begun less dramatically. The crises that push me to abandon familiar paths and question the traditions behind past choices have more often taken the form of a threat to my soul life—to my growth and potential as a human being. When the defenses I have learned have outlived their usefulness—when they can no longer protect me from my enemies of fear and depression and anger and guilt—it is time to leave the pseudo-security of a familiar order and depart into the wilderness.

To me, there are lots of traditions that are passed down not only through families, but also cultures and organizations like the church. Ways of being that are ineffective and perhaps unknowingly self limiting. To me, those things are just as, if not more important to address than the big ticket items. I’ve found that the more foundational changes I make, the less the big ticket items are a concern. They kind of take care of themselves.

I’ll give a more specific example. I was in a meeting recently and someone there mentioned an object lesson that I thought was particularly amazing. I might get some of the details wrong, but I can give you enough of an idea to get my point across. In this object lesson, people are supposed to go through magazines and cut out pictures of people or things that they’d like to be or have. Maybe even of people or things that they think others would like or expect them to be or have. The images are then put into a collage on a big piece of poster board and a person is asked to complete some task while holding up the poster board.

The idea is that if we expend so much energy holding up a façade, it takes away from us being able to exist effectively in life. It’s also dishonest to ourselves and those around us. Mormons are really good at facades. I’m pretty sure most of us wouldn’t put this on our list of grievous sins, but I know that the more I’ve dismantled the façade and tried to bring it down, the easier it has been to avoid those things that are on the grievous sins list. And actually, it now seems kind of ridiculous to have a ranking of sins. That’s what we do though.

Now I try to look at it more as whether something is going to contribute to making me a better person or if something is going to contribute to holding me back. I try to make sure I’m doing more things on the “better person” side as opposed to the “holding me back” side. The balance shifts daily, but gradually I feel the “better person” side winning out more and more. I think it’s because I feel that sense of fulfillment that side provides and want to feel it more. Sometimes things still get cloudy though, but it’s easier to shift the balance back when I need some adjusting.

So yeah, sin and repentance are lame. We need new words.

12 comments:

  1. oh my gosh jon. another blog post i will steal and comment about in blog form later, but that object lesson is fantastic. its how i've felt lately. iike i was holding up something i was pretending to be and i finally started putting it down and started actually being what i am, ans being and changing that.

    you rock.

    and i agree, sin and repentance are such weird ways of looking at things. its not helpful at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful post jon. these are two concepts i think about pretty regularly, and i agree with you on most counts. i, too, dislike the word "sin". it often carries a remarkably negative connotation as something dirty, dark, and evil (don't get me wrong, there are some actions one can take that are dark and evil but that's usually not the case with your average joe/jane). by association we often label the one who sins a "sinner" which links them to ineffective labels like "dirty" and "bad". i love the word repetence, however. it remids me of remembrance. and that's how i've begun to view it. when we take actions that are disloyal to who we are at our divine core it is an act of forgetting--forgetting who we are, what we have to offer the world, where we're going. reptence is the process of bringing ourselves back to a remembrence of those things. reptence is remembering the God within us, that divine that permeates our soul, and then acting with loyalty towards that divinity. i'm still working it out, so i apologize if these ideas arent' totally fleshed out. (and now i need to go repent for using the phrase "fleshed out")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. I loved it, and it touched me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krisanne, that's such a great and fresh take on the word repentence. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like most conservative groups and people, there is an over-emphasis on prevention. They want to scare or shame people into not sinning. With that emphasis, they don't want to spare the people who have sinned an ounce of pain. Knowing you might have a loving family and Bishop who will guide you gently back into the fold could make sinning easier in the first place (they believe).

    Example: Birth control. Even though teaching about birth control and condoms in our schools would lower teen pregnancy, abortion, STDs and other problems, (most would agree that's good) it would also lower the shame and the "consequences" of their sin. And the shame and fear is the only tool they want to use for prevention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its really sad that I remember those seminary videos lol.

    If I can, I do agree with the premises of your post, however, I believe there is some good to have the word "sin" be so nasty. Sin's are nasty, however I feel, and maybe this is what you were getting at, is that the "sinner" is not nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many thoughts of my own over the past year or two to throw in which are related to this...suffice it to say: well said. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, be careful, be careful, be careful... I love your thoughts about how misunderstood sin and repentance are. We tend to view both words through too narrow a scope, for sure, when really, they're daily parts of our journey towards self-improvement and becoming more Christ-like.

    I think the idea here is that we need to expand our perception of sin and repentance... but not that we should do away with the words or the concepts! I mean, they're a big part of the Gospel. Sin is wrong, and there is such a thing as major sins, and guilt/shame are part of the repentance process. They're not fun, and they shouldn't be felt in excess, but they are valid and necessary emotions.

    But I like what you have to say, and I want to read the article. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. J-
    I think it's worth having a discussion about the nature of media in the church. This all goes back to the girls camp/Youth Conference/Michael McLean/Saturday's Warrior. I've been trying to think about it realizing that I have a totally different perspective than I did when I was younger...you know how we learn line upon line, precept on precept, blah blah blah...so what if my adult perspective(and strong opinion) is over-coloring the experience. There was a place in my spiritual progression for that sort of schmultz...at least that's how I'm thinking about it today. I'm not saying that we rely on manipulation in our teaching and we should ALWAYS ALWAYS be looking for the best way to engender true spiritual experiences, but if we are going to teach at all, we've got to make room for understanding that sometimes it really is milk before meat. That said, I do believe that our youth and new members are capable of grasping much more than we give them credit for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yeah, that is not to say that artistic crap is not artistic crap. But that too is subjective. OH MY GOSH, MAKE ME STOP. I've been alone in this office too long. Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely not saying we should do away with the concepts, they are the core of the gospel. I just think that the meaning we've attached to the words is very limited and limiting and so the words are kind of gross to me. So yeah, new words that help us broaden our understanding of the concepts or broadening our understanding so the words take on new meaning. Either way, I'd be happy:)

    That's a great idea for a discussion thread, Ninny. I'm gonna do that!

    ReplyDelete