Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Oprah, Oprah, is it really you?

I had the strangest dream last night. It’s been a while since I’ve had a dream this strange and vivid. Like the dream about being embalmed while I was still alive, or my dream about going to Nazi school. In this dream, I was in a movie with Oprah, so the dream was the movie. The movie was set around the time of The Color Purple, but that wasn’t the movie we were in. I lived with Oprah and she was very sick, I think it was cancer. Another woman we lived with decided to take Oprah to the hospital to get some help because she was in a lot of pain. I was watching from the porch as the two worked their way to the car, Oprah kind of doubled over in pain. Apparently I’m a jerk in this movie because I just stayed on the porch and watched. All of the sudden, Oprah stopped and screamed in pain. She widened her stance while still standing in her dress and all of the sudden, all of her internal organs started falling out of her dress. The intestines were first and they stayed all clumped together as one solid mass and actually bounced a little when they hit the ground. After that, everything kind of followed en masse and the last thing to fall out were two really large eggs. Maybe representative of her ovaries? Then I woke up.

I wish Joseph was around to tell me what this all means. (Cue Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat soundtrack) Until then, does someone want to take on the task of fleshing out the details and writing the screenplay for this blockbuster movie? Maybe Joseph could be rescripted and instead of a dream about corn, the dream could be about Oprah losing her entrails. No? Bad idea?

Speaking of rescripted, this weekend I went and saw a Richard Wagner opera rescripted as a Baywatch episode. It was a little over the top silly, but I suppose I should have expected that.

7 comments:

  1. Just a stab- but I think it is a demonstration of your aversion to the female reproductive system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...possible overshare. Just sayin'. :-) But I think I support Mandi's interpretation. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you're really creeped out by oprah movies. like beloved. i mean seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandi's one smart cookie. By overshare, I'm assuming you're referring to the rescripted opera? :)

    Ariel, I've never seen beloved, sounds like maybe I shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also had a detailed dream about Oprah, but in my dream we were great friends, went horseback riding, and spent the day at her place (which was fabulous, I might add). I'm glad that her intestines weren't bouncing around, that would have freaked me out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel a bit of pride and somewhat famous being featured on your "Jon's Shared Items" list. Not unlike the way a hot pink all weather zip up fleece might feel being featured on an Oprah's Favorite Things episode.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this dream shows your disinterest for women in genral. Oprah, represents maybe (to your subconcious)what might be seens as one of the greatest women ever, but when she needs help, is doubled over in pain or even losing eternal organs--you aren't moved emotionally in the slightest. Are you sure you were playing yourself in this film?

    ReplyDelete