Thursday, February 4, 2010

Come out, come out or whatever

Coming out is a funny thing. Well, maybe not the act of coming out in and of itself. No I take that back, that can be funny too. I recently met the sister of a friend of mine. I knew that she knew that my friend (her brother) is gay, but I didn’t know if she knew about me. We were just hanging out and talking and throughout the course of the conversation I started working under the assumption that she actually did know about me and basically outed myself, but I thought that maybe she already did know about me. Anyway, by the end of the conversation, it was very clear that she knew and I knew she knew even though it had never been explicitly stated. It wasn’t until afterwards that I found out that she, in fact, had no idea about my sexuality going into the conversation.

Ok, maybe that was more confusing than funny, but back to my earlier point. I think sometimes the ideas and expectations people have about what it means to be gay, and therefore what it means to come out are funny. Through recent conversations, I was reminded that some people still see coming out as a very black and white thing. If you are out, people have certain expectations about what that means about who you are and what your path is. Also, for those coming out, those expectations make it difficult to carve out your own “coming out” or “not coming out” path. Those expectations are kind of like that car ride at amusement parks that keep the car on the predetermined path. This is where Skye’s Sweet Onions come in and remind us to not hold people to certain molds or paths based on our past experience with them or our past experience with others.

Also interesting is that I think some people believe that once you come out, you are out to everyone. Like it’s one grand sweeping act and you’re done. Have you ever seen the episode of The Office where Michael declares bankruptcy by simply yelling, “I declare bankruptcy!!” That’s not how it works for coming out. It’s not like you declare homosexuality and then everyone just knows. For some people that might be the case, but realistically, that’s not how it works. I don’t have a lot of obviously gay traits that would cause people to assume. I consider myself fairly out, but I don’t track down every person I know to make sure they know. It’s also usually not the first thing I tell new people I meet.

There are basically two groups in my life right now where it is not widely known that I’m gay. One is work. I’m sure there are some astute intuitive types who have come to that conclusion, but it’s not something I’ve explicitly stated to anyone there. Part of me feels like it’s none of their business, but another significant part of me kind of wishes that my close friends at work knew. I’m not really sure I know the real reasons why I haven’t chosen to come out on that front yet. I’m sure that’s something that could be explored further.

The other front is the choir I sing in. There are a few people who know, but most don’t. As far as I know, anyway. The question of my singleness and dating has come up before with people at choir, but it never feels quite right to just drop that bomb in casual conversation. This is a very mormon group. I have told a couple people in the choir since joining the choir. One was because a mutual friend of ours suggested that she read my blog and so she asked me for the address, and I was delighted to give it to her. The other I told because he always asked about my dating life and when he was going to get a wedding announcement from me. If people persistently ask me about that stuff, I tell them. It’s not that I don’t want these people at choir to know though. I really don’t care if they do, as a matter of fact I would rather have them know. I guess maybe it’s just that I don’t want to be the one to do it. Not sure what all that means, or if it means anything at all.

So yeah, If people ask if I’m out, I guess it depends on what your definition of out is. To me the words “out” and “gay” can be misunderstood and misleading and confining. I’m just Jon. Anyway. To lighten things up after a long and rambling post, I will now make my first attempt at embedding an audio file. It’s of Ben Taylor, the son of James Taylor, singing. Pay close attention to the words…

13 comments:

  1. Nevermind. That didn't work. Maybe I'll try again later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, I know that I have avoided coming out to people, for the reason that once I do people will already have a view of what that means and then they will expect me to fit that view, when individually we all deserve the right to create and have our own journey in life.

    Tanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the funniest things about coming out is when the other person doesn't believe you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a good chuckle on this one! Well said....

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. The audio is a no go.
    P.P.S. Coming out... I smiled and chuckled the whole way down.
    P.P.P.S. How many Post Scripts are acceptable?
    P.P.P.P.S. Maybe one day I will find out.
    P.P.P.P.P.S. But not tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, if you want me to out you to everyone, I can totally do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i dont see why you would introduce yourself like that. i dont walk up to people and be like "hi, i'm a straight woman named ariel." its a big part of your life and your identity, buts its not the only thing that makes you, you. and thats why people have to get to know you to have the full "coming out" experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, what's also funny is the situations where people know and you don't yet.

    My sister was telling people she had a gay brother for years before I had even come out to myself. Seriously, she would get all worked up and angry when people said homophobic things in front of her, and she would say, "Don't bad mouth gay people because my brother is gay!" She was saying this kind of stuff while I was still all alone in the closet, suffering because I thought nobody knew.

    When I came out to her, she said, "Finally!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janeanne, I had a feeling you would offer to help me out with that task:)

    Maybe this post should have been more about what's funny about coming out. I like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That made me smile. If only you were a celebrity, then you could issue a press release or a press conference and then you would be all done. But then again, who would want to miss all those fun experiences?

    ReplyDelete
  11. jon. Ben taylor is not just the son of james. He is, more importantly, the son of carly simon. Thank you, chauvenist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say that I've suspected for years but never knew for sure until the other day when someone mentioned it and I decided to take a look at your blog. I wasn't quite sure how to ask you, and I have mentioned and asked about your dating life in the past. I've always felt a different awkwardness between us and I always think that it's because for the first few years we knew each other, I was the young immature "teenage" type kid. I like to think that I've since matured and have gradually become more accepting and aware of my surroundings.

    I can't say I know or understand how you feel because I really don't. Perhaps I haven't read enough of your blog, but I am curious as to where you feel that these feelings come from and your thoughts on how to pursue life and happiness through the church when it could be very real that you will not get married or have children. My intentions are not to argue or "discuss" or disagree with you in any way, but merely to help me understand a little of your perspective on the gospel.

    Such questions include:

    Do you feel you will have the opportunity to have a wife and family beyond mortal existence if you do not have one in your time here on the earth?

    If no, to what purpose do you see the role of a gay Latter-Day Saint? The church doesn't exactly come out and say that there are roles, rather they just say our purpose is to get married and have kids and go to the Celestial Kingdom.

    Again my intentions are not to offend or criticize, but merely to gain perspective.

    Thanks Jon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr./Mrs. Anonymous, now, of course, you've got me curious as to your identity. I didn't take offense to your questions, I'm glad you want to understand more. Sorry it took me a couple of days to respond, the weather's been fantastic this weekend. :)

    As far as where I think the feelings came from, I think it would be interesting to know the answer to that. I think it probably varies by person. I initially believed that it developed as a result of the emotionally distant father theory and a failure to develop healthy relationships with other men. As a result, I though all I had to do was repair those relationships and viola! I would be healed. 10 years later, I realize it's not that simple. I think it's probably a mixture of nature and nurture. My relationship with my dad is much better now than it was, and I've worked through my discomfort with men. I feel like I've become a fairly emotionally healthy adult. The attraction is still there though. Maybe that means that was born this way. Maybe it means I just haven't given it enough time. The truth is, no one on planet earth can really tell me for sure and so I try not to focus too much on the why and instead focus on continuing to become whole through Christ. I'm finding that what it means to be whole through Christ is sometimes unexpected by me and I'm sure by others who observe my journey.

    As far as marriage here or later, the answer again is that I have no idea. Marriage is a huge part of the LDS culture. I certainly think there are many reasons for that. I think that type of relationship provides people with experiences that tease out insecurities and issues. That can either serve to destroy the relationship, or if each person takes on the challenge and works through their insecurities and issues, marriage can become a very healing relationship. An exalting relationship. I think though, that sometimes we lose sight of what the end goal is. Lots of people focus on temple marriage being the ultimate and end goal. I see it as an important tool that can help a person towards the real ultimate goal...exaltation. I think most people wouldn't be able to become the type of person they'd need to become to live with God forever without going through the testing grounds of marriage.

    Bottom line, I believe that if I continue to focus on my relationship with Christ, continue to become more whole and well through Him, all things will fall into place as they should.

    As far as the role of gay Latter-day Saints, I feel very deeply that we have a role to play. I think the culture inside the church as well as outside of the church is not well. I think we're capable of a lot more. The truth is, homosexuality is no respecter of persons, people inside the church are affected by it just as much, if not more than people outside of the church. As a result, there's kind of a forced marriage between the church and the issue of homosexuality, teasing out insecurities and issues that exist in both. Now we can choose to live in a loveless, hostile and toxic marriage or figure out how to bring back the love. I don't think divorce is an option. I see signs that people on both sides are seeking to bring the love back. I'm hopeful that there are many who are willing and able to find that middle way. Isn't that where truth usually lies? Somewhere in the middle?

    Thanks for caring enough to dialogue with me a little bit. If you want to talk more, I have an email listed in the link to my blogger profile above. Or maybe you already have my email...

    ReplyDelete