Thursday, April 1, 2010

More very important items of business

One. The main purpose of this post is to shame Courtney for not believing me when I told her that Express sells jean shorts. I told her that I needed to get some shorts for my trip to HK, and she kindly informed me that I was not allowed to get any jean shorts. I texted her informing her of the jean shorts and she replied after I had already left Express saying she didn’t believe me. I did an about face when I got her reply. I clearly had to march back and take a picture for proof.

Two. Will you please notice how nice the picture is that I took with my Droid? I don't know if it's just that spring is in the air or what, but I'm still deeply in love. I downloaded a zen meditation timer app. Did I tell you I also downloaded an app to help me learn some basic phrases in Chinese? So far I’ve mastered “wua hur pee jeuw” (phonetic), which means, “I drink beer.” I have a feeling that phrase is going to come in handy.

Three. The Merriam-Webster word of the day on Saturday was esemplastic: shaping or having the power to shape disparate things into a unified whole. The example sentence is so fantastic:

"The prison walls of self had closed entirely round him; he was walled completely by the esemplastic power of his imagination — he had learned by now to project mechanically, before the world, an acceptable counterfeit of himself…." (Thomas Wolfe, Look Homeward, Angel)

Four. I love My Religious Blog and I love the most recent post.

Five. Happy Birthday MNJ!!

13 comments:

  1. For the record, I didn't buy any jean shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for the record, that phrase better not come in handy. When do you go to Hong Kong? And what for?

    And if you are interested... I have a new job for you, because I am over your old one. Want to move to the East Coast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the record, I'm so glad your technology fast is over. March was a cold, lonely month without you. I leave for the HK a week from Sunday for two weeks to visit my sister's family.

    A job? I'm intrigued. Perhaps we should chat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the zen meditation timer ap? I might have to get that one...

    Miss your face, hoping I see you before you leave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a timer for your meditation sessions and it has nice soothing zen bells. You going to the Garlock's on Sunday? I'll for sure see you then if you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha. wo he pijiu. that was a popular phrase in my byu chinese class.

    i dont know about that phonetic though.
    i would spell it out: whoa huh pee joe.

    the hur makes it sort of sound like hi instead of he.

    wo xiang(shee-ang)he pijiu. I want to drink beer. would be more useful.

    wo xiang yi bai pijiu... i dont know if this is correct (its been a while) but asking for a glass of beer.

    you can just replace pijiu(beer) with the drink you want.. jiu denoting alcoholic beverages.

    BUT... if its Hong Kong. i think its under 5% that speak Mandarin & they are more likely to understand English as their common language.

    I want a glass of beer in Cantonese is like:
    Hó-m̀h-hó'yi béi būi bējáu ngóh a?

    (also them jean shorts are tapered the hell. you need to have stick legs for those.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *non-byu chinese class.

    it would be fun if it was popular in my byu chinese class. but i don't see it happening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe I should just stick with the English "I drink beer" then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha, yeah... cantonese pronounciation is wicked hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beer. Nice.

    As a guy who loves to learn languages, I applaud your efforts at learning some phrases to use on your trip. But there has to be some Droid app out there that contains a bunch of useful Cantonese phrases. Then you won't have to worry about embarrassing mispronunciations. Although that could make for some great stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you had to use a time machine to get ahold of that picture of the denim shorts??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with courtney. Denim shorts? You can wear them only if they are girbaud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mandi, do you know how badly I wanted a pair of girbauds when I was in middle school?

    ReplyDelete