Tuesday, November 23, 2010

On not leaving the church alone

I first became aware of Holly Welker this past summer. A friend sent me a fantastic piece she wrote for The Huffington Post for Pioneer Day, in which she celebrates modern Mormon pioneers like Carol Lynn Pearson, Dustin Lance Black and others. When I went to the Salt Lake Sunstone Symposium in August, I saw that Holly was presenting a paper on the Twilight books. I read her bio that accompanied a description of what she was going to present. Her bio listed the publications that she has been published in and the list started with The New Era and ended with Bitch. That kind of sealed the deal for me.

Holly came up to the Sunstone Symposium in Seattle/Portland a week and a half ago where we met and chatted. I felt an almost instantly comfortable connection with Holly, which is kind of a strangely beautiful thing for me because there was a time when she probably would have scared me. I used to be incredibly uncomfortable with anyone or anything that was even slightly critical of the church and its leaders. I most definitely would have been found nodding in agreement when someone would state the oft repeated phrase about how people who leave the church can’t leave the church alone.

Now I realize that it’s much more complicated than that, and that subtle brand of condescension doesn’t do anyone any good. There are many varied and valid reasons why people leave the church and I think it’s important to know and understand those reasons and the people who do choose to leave. And the seeking to understand shouldn’t come from a place of superiority or from a place of trying to manipulate them back into the fold. I think it should come from a place of exploring how another person’s experience can inform and shape and instruct my own.

One thing I’ve noticed with my friends and family, who have left full activity in the church, is that well meaning people try to minister to their needs and questions without being willing or able to fully explore the reasons why they left in the first place or without seeking to know and see them. It sends the probably unintended but still insulting message that their status with the institutional church is more important than their actual well-being.

Holly recently wrote a great piece for Religion Dispatches. She doesn’t discuss why she left the church, but she does a beautiful job of explaining why she wont’t leave the church alone. If you read it and other things she has written, you may not agree with everything she says or how she says it, but I’m willing to bet that your experience with Mormonism will become fuller and more three dimensional as a result, whether you have left the church or are a true believing member or fall somewhere in between.

I should mention that O-Mo also recently wrote a terrific blog post about leaving the church but not leaving it alone. Check it out.

8 comments:

  1. You wrote: "It sends the probably unintended but still insulting message that their status with the institutional church is more important than their actual well-being."

    I think you are being very charitable. I think that there are a very large number of members of the church who DO believe very strongly that others' status with the church is more important than those persons' actual well-being. After all, status with the church = eternal salvation, whereas "well-being" is an airy-fairy term that many LDS would be uncomfortable with.

    I'll go further: I think there are a lot of members of the church who believe their their OWN status with the church is more important than their actual well-being. For a large part of my adult life, I have fit into that category, and I know there are many, many others who are in the same boat, whether they realize it or not.

    For now, I am still an active member of the Church, but I think I see the handwriting on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, status in the church is salvation. Well, being in this life is such a temporary and fleeting thing. They are taking it from a very eternal perspective when they show more concern over church status rather then well-being. All this from a church who has a past history of saying "better dead than ________" fill in the blank with any number of things.

    I'll bet her take on the Twilight novels was interesting!

    Thanks for the links to the articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i misunderstood at first. i thought you meant like "we're having a leaving the church party, lets all leave together! i cant leave alone!"

    but i get it. because since i left i cant leave it alone. i think for me its dealing with a huge change, and adressing thoughts i had been supressing for a long time. and a lot of things. i know you understand but i also know alot of other people dont. i dont blame them for that. but it makes the process hard sometimes, and makes me wish i really wasnt leaving alone like i originally thought you meant :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny, Ariel. I can see how the title could be taken to mean just that. Sorry to disappoint. :)

    Invictus/Kiley - It's true, many think that happiness/well-being is inextricably linked to status with the church. The interesting and unexpected thing that happened with me when I allowed myself to believe that isn't necessarily true was a greater sense of freedom and happiness in my own life. I'm sure you guys can identify with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got to thinking. I think the reason this realization gives me a greater sense of freedom and happiness is because then my activity in the church becomes something that I can choose. I no longer feel bound to it out of fear that I'll be miserable without it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ariel--So I, in turn, misread your comment at first, and thought you were talking about a party of people to leave the church *building* together. And I was going to say, "No, leaving alone is fine, just don't leave with strange boys! You should know that by now!" :)

    And Jon, I like your last comment. It's a theme I've noticed through several conversations with friends who've left the church--"I always thought my life would fall apart and be so empty without the church... but then I realized I was happy. I was always told I couldn't be happy without the church, but I was. I'm still happy." I don't know why that comes as such a shock to us as church members. Of course people can be happy without the church! I've always had friends outside the church, and they've always seemed happy. I've never seen much evidence that anyone's life falls apart completely without the church, whether they once had it, or not. Happiness comes from many sources, especially from God, who loves ALL of his children ALL of the time. Ergo (yes, I said ergo), fear of unhappiness is not a good enough reason to choose church activity. For me, it takes some deeper soul searching than that to be sure of why I choose the church, and sometimes I have to give myself the highly personalized "Oh, remember, remember," lectures to get through the dark times.... And now I'm lost in a thought-tangent in my head, which I won't clutter your blog with. Suffice to say, testimonies are complicated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Holly is fantastic as well, as you know from my gleeful reaction to hearing her speak at the Sunstone symposium. Not only do I agree wholeheartedly with her spot-on piece from Religion Dispatches, but I'd take it a bit further (as O-Mo did in his excellent post) and say it's the church that won't leave many of us alone. I suppose Holly would agree.

    In that piece and elsewhere, Holly talks about the church exerting influence on people. I think it's stronger action than mere influence. As Kiley said, church status = salvation. From the prevailing Mormon mindset, not meddling in the private lives of other people means you're shirking your duty as a faithful Latter-day Saint. Thankfully, there are some Mormons who develop an understanding and practice of healthy boundaries in their relationships and interactions. But the sad fact remains that institutionally and culturally the church sees a divine mandate in not leaving people alone until they either comply or reject (as if there's no space in between). Maybe someday there will be less emphasis on "searching out the elect" and "dusting off feet" and more emphasis on meaningful connections as human beings and love.

    On that note, Happy Thanksgiving! ;)

    ReplyDelete