Monday, September 28, 2009

Off the beaten path to home base


You know how there are certain things that just bring you back to home base? Maybe it’s a song or a particular band or a piece of literature or work of art or a certain friend or a place. The instant you begin experiencing that person, place or thing, you feel connected to your inner voice and everything seems clear and as it should be. The Oregon coast does that for me. I was invited to go with some friends and stay in Rockaway Beach Saturday and Sunday. The picture above was actually taken in Oceanside, which is probably 30-40 minutes south of Rockaway, but it gives you a good idea. The weather on Sunday was perfect. Cool enough in the morning that it was chilly, with a light but visible mist in the air that gives the scene a little more texture. It warmed up into the low 70’s and after attending an hour of church, we made lunch and ate on the beach and laid and talked and soaked up the sun through the light chilly breeze. Perfection.

I was reminded on this trip that often the best experiences are off the beaten path. On the way to Rockaway we passed through Tillamook, home of the Tillamook cheese factory, a popular tourist attraction, especially on beautifully sunny weekends. We stopped there because a couple of people in the group had never been. You can look through windows at the machines that make the cheese and they have videos to watch and various cheddar cheeses to sample. They also have an eatery where you can buy ice cream and burgers and stuff. It’s definitely set up for tourists.

Being at the Tillamook cheese factory also reminded me of an embarrassing experience I had there about a year ago. I went crabbing out at the coast with my department at work for a team building activity and we stopped at the cheese factory for a lunch of burgers. Long story short, I tripped over a railing while carrying those little condiment cups full of ketchup and mustard. I threw my hands out in an effort to steady myself and in the process hurled my condiments against the wall, creating something reminiscent of a Jackson Pollock painting. I wasn’t successful and fell backwards onto the table we were eating at and sat on someone’s burger. Fortunately, someone grabbed the table and kept it from tipping; otherwise, I probably would have sent the table tipping, spilling all its burgers and fries on top of me. It was seriously like a bad slapstick scene in a bad Disney movie.

Fast forward back to this past weekend. Afterwards, someone suggested we go up the road to the lesser known Blue Heron French Cheese Company and check that out. There was no paved parking lot and there were only a handful of cars out front. Their headquarters was an adorable barn with donkeys and emus and llamas to pet. Emus kind of creep me out. We went inside and there was a man behind a counter handing out samples of cheese on crackers. He gave us a sample of smoked brie that blew. my. mind. We also sampled the white licorice ice cream that also blew our minds.

I grew up a conformist, but have developed an attraction to people who like to stray from the well beaten path. It’s served me well.

8 comments:

  1. I'm most jealous of the free cheese you got to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should have fed some cheese to the emu!!!

    i also feel so perfect when i'm at the beach. i feel its best summed up in the poem "maggie and milly and molly and may" which you should google, because its about how wonderful the coast is.

    i missed you while you were gone, and you missed my talk i gave where i lost my voice and had to whisper into the microphone. few things besides the oregon coast are worth missing that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wiping the tears away from reading the Tillamook adventure. Fortunately I could imagine the whole thing. Ahh.. I love laughing like that. Did anyone possibly get this on video? Sigh. I can dream, I guess.

    Another thing about off the beaten path, is that you can claim small parts of the earth as "your own", your own place to escape to.

    Beautiful picture, makes me jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HM... I really like tillamook's pepper jack but not so much the squeaky cheese.

    You should try Pacific City beach to, that is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Blue Heron! I went there the last time I was at the Oregon Coast. And the samples...mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and p.s.--I agree that many of the best things are found when you get a little lost. I don't mean that to be all deep and metaphorical and crap. I mean it literally: when I get lost in a new place, I enjoy it 'cause I sometimes find the coolest hole-in-the-wall shops and stops. :-)

    And I was chuckling out loud to your description of the embarrassing event. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had forgotten about the Tillamook incident. So funny.
    The Oregon coast will have to be one of our first trips when we move back to the States. That picture above was taken by that little clam chowder place we ate at....correct? Can't wait to try out the Blue Heron. Remember OJ and I chomping on squeaky cheese in the backseat of your car and you and Lori thought we were disgusting? -Sigh- I love cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Canon will always have my heart. Low tide and the purple starfish on haystack rock. Aah the single days.

    ReplyDelete