Tuesday, September 29, 2009

This one is for marriedtoamoho

Here's a picture of Cannon Beach. This one was taken almost exactly four years ago when my parents and my two youngest sisters came to visit. If you look closely, you can see the silhouette of two people on the beach in the reflection of the sunlight. Those are my two youngest sisters who I had "the talk" with over ice cream and a hot tub when I was in SLC. :)

Last night Stina again failed to disappoint. There is a chef in Portland named Micah Camden. He used to be a make-up artist, but then he became a self-taught chef and owns a handful of restaurants all near the corner of NE Killingsworth and 30th. Last night he was celebrating an anniversary of some sort and was giving away free food at three of his restaurants: Yakuza, DOC, and Fats. Fats doesn't appear to have a website yet, so I linked to a story about it and Micah. Stina took me and Courtney and a cool new guy in the ward to check things out.

We went to Yakuza first and had sushi and kobe beef sliders. The sushi was really good (although I'm not a huge fan of sushi) but the beef sliders were incredilicious. I'm going back soon to get a full on kobe beef burger with the delicious feta. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, the other places had run out of food by the time we got to them. They have been added to the list of places to try out.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE sushi!! And raw fish--it's not only for Gollum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannon Beach is one of my faves, too. And Seal Rock. And others. There's a GREAT tidal pool and agate-hunting beach somewhere along the coast, the location and name of which I always forget, so it's fun to hunt it every time I go. :-)

    I really like "incredilicious". A lot. I may be weird, but I think my favorite "sushi" is salmon nigiri. Pure, simple, almost buttery, melt-in-your-mouth goodness. Next time I'm in town, we're going out to eat at one of these places you mention. That's all there is to it. You don't have a say in this.

    ...and the pic is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yakuza has the best burger in the city! I dreamed about it for months after I went. Seriously. Amazing. I love love love that place. I've been to DOC and it was good - I'm anxious to try Fats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWWWWW!!! THANK you!!!!!!
    My heart is aflutter! Husband and I spent a very rainy and windy afternoon there early in the marriage. Haven't been back. Such a beautiful picture! Such a great surprise to have a post just for ME! Now you'll never get rid of me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our next food adventure: the food cart that will deep fry anything you bring them (obviously I'm bringing a Yakuza burger).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so down for a trip back to Yakuza for a full-sized burger. Sorry you guys had to wait for me and probably missed the other free food as a direct result. I'm taking comfort in the fact alcohol seemed to be the main give away at the other places, and thus Yakuza must have had the best free food.

    And, Christina, what? WHAT?? I have not heard of this place, but I will be thinking of little else until we go. What to fry, what to fry... It's like that stand at the state fair, but we aren't limited to the twinkies, oreos, and snickers bars.

    ReplyDelete