Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sometimes I underestimate myself and change subjects

Last week I auditioned for a choir. It’s a really great chamber choir of about 16-20 voices. They formed about a year ago, I think, and I heard them perform in May. The concert was fantastic and it’s a group of very talented musicians. I remember thinking at the time how great it would be to sing with a group like that, but was probably out of reach for me at the moment. I’ve sung in choirs before, but mostly really large choirs where it’s pretty easy to hide and slide by and I’ve had no formal one-on-one training.

Last week they had auditions and I thought I’d give it a shot, even though I thought it might be a long one. I’m fairly insecure when it comes to my singing voice. I’m fine when I’m singing with others, but ask me to sing alone for an audience of any size and you might as well ask me to stand naked in front of the audience. Part of the audition involved us learning a few lines of a song and then going down the line and each of us taking a turn singing the three lines alone (but not naked). I briefly considered bolting from the room.

Anyway, long story short, I found out on Saturday that I made it in. We had our first rehearsal last night. I’m really looking forward to the experience. I have a couple of good friends who are already in the choir, and it will be nice to be able to spend more time with them. This is where our Christmas concert is going to be:


It’s not a church sponsored choir, but everyone in the choir is LDS. We all introduced ourselves and were told to give our name, where we are from and how many kids we have. Yeah. I said my name, where I live and that I had no kids….that I knew of, anyway. This got a good laugh from some and a hesitant I'm-not-sure-whether-you're-joking-or-not smile from others.

Changing subjects entirely, I have a friend on facebook. I don’t know her all that well, but she often posts very angst ridden status updates. Many times they are song lyrics about broken hearts or something vague enough that it’s obvious she wants someone to ask her what’s wrong. This morning there was something about the pain being just too much. I thought for a split second about clicking on “Like”, but I decided not to. This probably destroys any false ideas you might have had about me being compassionate from my last post.

And changing subjects yet again, I have to call attention to a post on my friend Courtney’s blog. It’s in my shared items, but I thought it was worthy of a special shout out just in case nobody looks at those, because it’s so horrifically tacky. (Not Courtney, she’s nothing but classy.)

12 comments:

  1. oh jon, you and your illigitimate babies :) congrats on the choir!!!

    i think we all have facebook friends like that. the ones that write vague emo things, and you want to joke about it, but they wouldnt think its funny. i too would have considered clicking "like" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the appropriate thing to do when those status updates occur? I often want to click "like" but it does seem a bit insensitive.

    Congrats on the choir. I assume it is the choir Skye and JaneAnne are in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When people post enough of those I-want-attention status updates, the appropriate button to click is "remove friend"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a friend on facebook who I didn't really know that well and one day he posted something about reaching 500 friends and thanks everyone. I clicked the "remove friend" button for that, but not before noticing that he was down to 492. Moral of the story: the best way to lose friends is to announce that you're collecting them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the choir-- it sounds like a lot of fun. Also, thanks for saying you don't think I'm tacky, I try really hard to have more class than a ginormous wall mural of the Savior of the World doing push ups. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only assume that you surreptitiously placed the Facebook thoughts and Choir update in one post. The evil and ethereal elements balance out quite nicely. Well played my friend, well played.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love getting the I don't know if you are joking smiles! I tend to get them alot. Congrats on the Choir!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great!!! That will be a lot of fun in the choir. However... it will forever ruin you from singing with the ward choir, but maybe that's not a loss... I laughed at your status update moral dilemma, I thought it was funny. My favorite are the people that let you know their child has had diarrhea all night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And with Courtney's blog, why is it I can't help but start to think of marketing slogans? What is wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pretty sure that means you need to go into marketing for tasteless companies.

    And yes, Sara, it's the same choir as Skye and JaneAnne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a passive aggressive facebook friend who will post vague things about people, like "I hate flakey people" right after you've canceled a dinner plan or "if you have a problem with me come up and talk to me directly" OH THE IRONY. Just STOP IT!

    ReplyDelete