Thursday, October 15, 2009

Help, I feel bad

Sometimes the universe speaks. Sometimes it’s in scattered fragments, but when I listen and try to piece it all together, something beautiful happens. I’m going to jump around in this post and it might seem kind of disjointed, but trust me. I’m just showing you all the pieces. I think the title of my blog might be taken as a request that others listen to who I am. When I first settled on the title though, it was all about ME listening to who I am. Blocking out voices from different camps or people or institutions or cultures and really listening to who I am instead of listening to what I perceive that others think I should be.

Yesterday I began to blog about something I’ve been feeling the past few days or so but couldn’t figure out how I wanted to approach it, so I abandoned it and posted about spam email instead. I’ve been feeling a little bit disconnected. I can trace it to things that are going on in life for me right now and that have happened this week. For the most part nothing serious, but it’s left me feeling a little out of sorts the past few days. The title of this post is actually the subject line of a spam email I got today. Even spam can sense that things are slightly off.

I don’t want to blog about the specific things that have thrown me off because I don’t think those specifics really matter for what I’m trying to accomplish, particularly with this post. I have a fantastic counselor and in one session we were talking a little bit about her approach to counseling. She said that it’s never really about the content of our lives or what happens to us. It’s more about how we process the content or what happens to us.

I’ve had a conversation or two recently with a couple friends about going to the Dharma Rain Zen Center for a little meditation. The conversations reminded me of when I went the first time about a year and a half ago, which reminded me of the journal entry I made about that experience:

There’s something that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. It’s been simmering inside me for the last 4 or 5 months. It’s been a running theme all that time that resurfaces again and again. It keeps getting presented to me through different experiences and people and therefore is becoming fairly deeply ingrained. I had one such experience last Thursday. I went to the Dharma Center in Southeast Portland with a friend to give the practice of formal meditation a try. They had a beginning class that had six of us including the teacher. We gathered in a circle on our mats and cushions and the teacher gave us some background and taught us some basic principles of meditation and posture, etc. She told us the basic idea of meditation is to be completely present with what is occurring at that moment. To shut out the past and the future and just focus on right now and how your body feels. And very specific sensations like your breath moving in and out of your nose. The idea is to sit absolutely still and be in touch with what you are feeling now. Someone asked what if you have an itch? The teacher said sometimes she can’t resist and just has to scratch that itch, but that the idea is that you just let it be, you let it happen and that eventually you will notice that it just passes. Eventually it subsides. All that reminded me of what I’ve been thinking about lately about allowing ourselves to experience difficult things/emotions. Often times we want to avoid the feelings, run the other way, or lose ourselves in other things that help us not to feel the difficult emotions…we lose ourselves in work or school or toys or friends or to-do lists or the internet. The idea though is to be still and let those negative emotions wash over us, allow ourselves to experience them and allow them to do what they are meant to do, having faith that just like the itch, eventually they will also subside. That’s not all though. At President Hinckley’s funeral, his daughter spoke. She talked about some of the difficult things that President Hinckley had gone through. She talked about when Sister Hinckley died and how lonely and painful that experience was for Pres. Hinckley. She said that he allowed himself to feel it, to experience it, then he took it to the Lord so that He could use that experience to carve out a greater portion of his heart for compassion. If we allow that whole process to take place, we open ourselves up to be molded and shaped by our Creator, who knows and loves us perfectly and completely, to reach our full potential. But if we allow the process to be hijacked by self medication, we take ourselves further away from who we really are and feel even more detached from our emotions, who we really are, what our potential is, what it is we really want vs. need and in some ways the most dangerous of all, we become detached from the desire to be true to ourselves and the desire to do what we know we should.

So that’s where I’m at. Sometimes we find ourselves in a funk and sometimes we understand where it's coming from and sometimes we don't. The important thing is to let it do what it’s supposed to do. In the meantime, I’m watching Glee tonight and the premiere of 30 Rock and I will be wearing my snuggie while I watch.

13 comments:

  1. That's a fairly adorable image, you in your snuggie... aaaaaaawwwwwwww... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm just going to respond in a blog entry, but short answer is that you're amazing. like for realz (with a z) prettyjon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I am reading this book titled Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle. The section I am currently reading is the Illusion of Happiness which seems to point to this same topic. The idea being that we are so caught up with the idea that it is all about attitude and being happy and appearing happy, that we hinder our own ability to feel pain, sadness, doubt, etc. Because somehow, if we feel pain, and express it, we are bad and so we shove it deeper within us and continue with the pretext of being happy. Which also means we hinder our ability to recognize it in the future and to learn about ourselves and the world around us.

    Anywho, this week's Glee is probably the best one yet, so enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't emotions great? At my worst times, or whatever, I create some of my favorite things, and I always feel better afterward. Don't know what's on your mind, but it's okay to flip off the world every once and awhile. Personally, I like to yell the f word in some place empty like a field. You'd be surprised at how good it feels.
    BTW I love Glee as well (what self-respecting gay man doesn't?) but my heart will always be with 30 Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I read this post I was getting hit in the face with a baby rattle. It started while I was reading the part about itches. Do you think i can learn to meditate while being hit in the face? Do they have a class for that? Thanks for always allowing me to think a little deeper, and laugh a little harder through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, the "Hastings Family" comment makes me think of I Heart Huckabees: "Can we do the ball thing every day?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when you told about the 'Itch' experience in a fast and testimony meeting - I think about it all the time! you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There have been times in my life when I've been in a funk and there was nothing that anybody could say or do to make me feel better.

    The actress Teri Garr expresses this phenomenon so memorably in the movie "Tootsie." In one scene, she goes to Dustin Hoffman's apartment and figures out that he is seeing someone else. He feels really bad about misleading her and tries to apologize. At this point, she looks at him and says with such great soulful feeling:

    "I just have to feel this way until I don't feel this way anymore!"

    A truer thing has never been said. Sometimes you just have to feel bad until you don't feel bad anymore. You can't will it away no matter how hard you may try.

    I have heard Teri repeat that line a hundred times in my mind whenever I know that I, too, have to "just feel this way until I don't feel this way anymore!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for the 2nd comment. (I was supposed to disappear, wasn't I?) But your post also reminded me of a quote I recently came across by James Hillman, a world renowned psychologist who studied with Carl Jung and has written many books including, The Soul's Code.

    He said:

    "I'm not out for finding ways of getting rid of depression. Depression brings slowness, a counter-move to the manic, inwardness. It opens the door to beauty of some kind."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad Emily mentioned the itch story in testimony meeting, because I had that nagging feeling that I'd heard the story before. :)

    As always, Jon, love your blog. Love what you have to say. I always feel like people lose a few friendship points with me when they try to tell me how I SHOULD feel in any given situation. Or when they jump straight to trying to cheer me up, without even letting me talk it out first. I'm a big believer in the validity of whatever you're feeling in the moment, and being true to that.

    Somewhat related, and on the eastern religion train of thought... I remember in a world religion class at BYU, we were learning about some sort of Buddhist tea ceremony. I don't remember any of the details, but I was very intrigued when they stressed that the focus of the ceremony was to be completely present in the ceremony. You weren't supposed to think about anything happening before, after, or outside of that moment's experience. I've tried to incorporate that idea into my life ever since. Whatever I'm doing, especially if it's a conversation with other people, I want to be 100% present in that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks once again for sharing this blog Jon. Being in my own funk right now it helps to get some perspective from your posts and the comments. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look very adorable in your snuggie, Jon, and Glee is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows.

    I can remember seeing a commercial (I have no idea what it was for) and a woman in the commercial said something along the lines of, "My tears have never compromised my strength." I loved that, because I have always felt that having a good cry and allowing myself to be overcome with my emotions for a moment makes me feel better and empowers me to move forward. I do not agree that big girls (and boys) don't cry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the comments and quotes and stuff. I love how so many random things can come together to illustrate an idea. Everything from Empire of Illusion to Tootsie to Buddhism to shouting the eff word in an open field to TV commercials. It's all about picking up all the pieces and putting them together.

    ReplyDelete