Monday, October 5, 2009

Wrestling with contraries


A while back, I posted something about healing the world. I made reference to that whole prop 8 thing that was going on about a year ago and said that I thought each side of the argument saw the other side as an exaggerated caricature of who they really are. Some smart lady left a comment on that blog post in which she quoted James Harvey Robinson, an American Historian, who said, “Partisanship is our great curse. We too readily assume that everything has two sides and that it is our duty to be on one or the other.”

Two assumptions that I agree contribute to the curse. One, that every issue has just two sides and two, that it’s our duty to choose a side. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t take a stand for what we believe in. I just think we should hold off sometimes in doing that until we go through a process. Too often we take the lazy route and just adopt the side that we would be expected to adopt. I’m a republican/democrat and this is what a republican/democrat believes. I’m a Mormon and this is what a Mormon would believe.

We do it with politics and other issues and we also do it with people. I’ve decided I don’t like that person so I’m going to ignore anything good they might have to say and focus on finding faults to further justify my feelings toward that person. The opposite could also be true. I think that person is amazing and I will mold and shape my beliefs according to what that person says/believes. We try to figure out what box to put people in so that we can then know how to treat them.

My friend O-Mo recently posted something interesting and a little bit vague, which I thought was smart. When I first read it, I thought he was merely stating two sides of an argument and demonstrating that he was comfortable not choosing a side for now but merely considering both sides of an issue. I think I came to this conclusion because one of the things that I admire about O-Mo is that he’s willing to acknowledge and explore the many sides of an issue without feeling like he needs to immediately adopt a side. He clarified what he was trying to do in the next post and said he meant Chris to be a gender-neutral name and that the arguments presented could be used to promote either same sex marriage or opposite sex marriage. I wasn’t dead on with what he was trying to do, but was pretty close.

An anonymous somebody left what I thought was great comment. He starts out by quoting Joseph Smith, who taught that “by proving contraries, truth is made manifest.” Go back and read the comment, it’s really great. I guess the purpose of this post is to encourage more of that in myself. To allow myself to acknowledge and explore the good and bad of the many different sides of an issue or person instead of immediately trying to fit something into one of my own premade boxes.

5 comments:

  1. Jon Jon,

    You made my night when I came home and saw the title of your posting on the sidebar of 0-Mo's blog. "This is going to be good," I thought as I clicked on the link. Then I saw the photo of Nacho Libre and my heart leapt with joy. (I LOVE Nacho Libre and happen to own one of those EXACT SAME wrestling masks that I bought in Mexico.)

    Next I find myself reading your post and nodding in vigorous agreement with everything you're saying. Then I come to the final paragraph and realize that you're talking about the comment I left on O-Mo's blog a few days ago. I felt a little chill run up my spine and whispered a quiet, "Hallelujah!"

    "This guy is speaking my language, and he's saying it better than I could," I think as my heart resonates wildly with your whole presentation.

    God's in the details of our lives. He really was for me tonight with this post. To have you lay it out so beautifully with that wonderful title, and that perfect Nacho Libre picture, and your well-written explanation of ideas I think are absolutely essential for anyone desiring a robust sense of well-being. It made me really happy, man. Joyful even.

    Though I'm still behind a cloak of anonymity, I feel a sense of kinship with you too for resonating on so many levels with ideas and things that I love. (I mean, Nacho Libre along with Joseph Smith and wrestling contraries?! Really? So cool.)

    So now someday I hope I can discuss wrestling contraries with you over free nachos (Nachos Libre, get it? You do speak Spanish I hope.) And even if that never happens in real life, or in this life, be assured that tonight at least you fed my soul with your thoughts and ideas and that gloriously appropriate picture. Mil gracias amigo. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr./Mrs. Anonymous, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I actually speak Portuguese. It's close enough to Spanish though. Hopefully it will suffice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon,

    Portuguese? It'll do. It'll do just great.

    I've taken some time this afternoon to review the full scale and scope of your blog. I was unfamiliar with you (and your blog) before last night's happy discovery. Today has yielded many additional "happy discoveries" and points of resonance that I share with you.

    I had a teacher once who explained that a person's writing was much like a hair sample that could be analyzed to reveal much about that person's heart and mind. My analysis of your blog is complete, and the lab results are in: you have a beautiful heart and mind.

    I've listened to who you are, and I really like what I hear. I have so many points of resonance with you that I started to lose track as I read post after post.

    The points of resonance that strike me the most are: your interest in meditation (I attend a class on Mormon meditation taught by a friend of Phil McLemore who was invoked in your first post; your desire to "heal the world," to bridge gaps, to forge a unique spiritual path that charts a new course right through the middle of stereotypical paths; your love of Margaret Young (I attended her "This I Believe" presentation at Sunstone this year and had tears in my eyes by the time she was finished.); your desire for your coming out process to be "organic" (I thought I was the first to use the organic concept in the moho world, but no, you beat me to it long ago and explained it much better than I ever could.); your love of Cannon Beach (one of my favorite places on earth.) I could go on. But I won't.

    Suffice it to say I am completely and thoroughly delighted to have stumbled across you, and your blog, and to know that the heart and mind that produced them are out there in the world (in my favorite state, no less), and that I have the prospect and opportunity to correspond and have dialogue with them through the miracle of the worldwide web.

    So whatever language you speak be it English, Spanish, Portuguese, or whatever, I'm going to continue to listen. You speak with a voice that resonates like crazy with what I have come to know and believe and love.

    So we're on for nachos one day. I'll say a little prayer that such a meeting can arise organically in the Lord's own due time and manner. He's already allowed me to stumble across your wonderful blog. I'll leave it in His hands as to when and I how I get to stumble across its creator.

    In the meantime, keep creating your great posts. I really enjoy them. A lot. Muito Obrigado!

    Mr. Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I guess it's confirmed: it's "Mr." We've been wondering. :-)

    Thanks for the thoughts, Jon.

    ReplyDelete