Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Throwing in my two bits

Earlier this month, the American Psychological Association (APA) came out with a report entitled Appropriate Therapeutic Responses to Sexual Orientation. If you’re neither gay nor a psychologist, you may have missed it. I haven’t read the whole thing yet, (it’s over 100 pages long) but I have read the executive summary since it’s only seven pages.

I’ve read a handful of news articles and blog posts about this report and it seems that, generally speaking, the discussion often seems to revolve around whether change therapy or reparative therapy is legitimate or not. For those of you who aren’t familiar with that terminology, reparative therapy is centered around the idea that someone who is attracted to the same gender can diminish and possibly eliminate those attractions and develop an attraction to the opposite gender. I don’t want to talk about that because I don’t think it really matters AND I don’t think that’s the most important part of the APA’s report.

Here’s what I think is important:

“Given that there is diversity in how individuals define and express their sexual orientation identity, an affirmative approach is supportive of clients’ identity development without an a priori treatment goal concerning how clients identify or live out their sexual orientation or spiritual beliefs. This type of therapy can provide a safe space where the different aspects of the evolving self can be acknowledged, explored, and respected and potentially rewoven into a more coherent sense of self that feels authentic to the client, and it can be helpful to those who accept, reject, or are ambivalent about their same-sex attractions.”

In other words, the psychologist shouldn’t have an agenda for their clients. The client is the one who should determine the agenda. The therapist should be there to aide the client in that process of figuring out what is going to work best for him or her, without ignoring the same-sex attractions or spiritual beliefs. The idea that I am in charge is called self-determination.

“Self determination is the process by which a person controls or determines the course of her or his own life. LMHP (licensed mental health providers) maximize self-determination by (a) providing effective psychotherapy that explores the client’s assumptions and goals, without preconditions on the outcome; (b) providing resources to manage and reduce distress; and (c) permitting the client to decide the ultimate goal of how to self-identify and live out her or his sexual orientation.”

Aren’t we all supposed to be working out our own salvation? The part that stuck out to me in the preceding paragraph is that one of the purposes of psychotherapy is to explore the client’s assumptions and goals. I think that kind of exploration is what’s going to enable the client to more clearly define what path is going to work best.

I think too often we reduce the paths for gay Mormons/Christians/etc. down to two options: either adopt a TV/Movie version of a gay identity and forget about religion and spirituality, or do the opposite and try to ignore same sex attractions and conform to an idea of what they perceive their religion wants them to be (just pretend to be straight and get married). Also, the subject too often gets politicized and agendas start to bubble up and people take sides and we lose sight of the fact that we are talking about real people who are trying to figure out how to find happiness.

Bringing this to a personal level, I spent many years believing that reparative therapy was the answer for me AND for everyone in my situation. Looking back, I feel like I was on a hamster wheel that whole time, and years later I am still very attracted to men. This was verified for me when I was walking through the mall at lunch today and saw a giant Noah Mills in the window at Gap. I’ve shed the reparative belief and have taken the idea of marrying a woman off the table. Before there were only a select few who knew about me because I felt like it made no sense to be open about it if I intended to become straight and marry a woman. Now I am very open about it. My path is still being defined and it will probably continue to evolve throughout my life. I feel more myself than I ever have though, and I’m content a good deal of the time to not know where my path is leading but to just take it one step at a time and watch it unfold.

Having said all that, I’m trying not to make the same mistake twice in believing that since my path seems to be working for me right now, it’s the path for everyone. I know guys who tell virtually no one and marry a woman and seem to be happy. I also know guys who have gotten married and it doesn’t end well. I know guys who stay in the church and choose to remain celibate. Some guys choose to be openly gay and still participate at church. Some guys choose to not participate at church but still stay connected to their spiritual side and are probably actually better off for it. And of course some guys end up going off the deep end.

I could go on but this whole post could be boiled down to just this: It’s up to each of us to listen to our inner voice (the Holy Ghost, conscience, whatever you want to call it) and determine a path that will bring us closer to God, or fulfillment and peace if you don’t believe in God, and it’s up to those around us to allow us the space to do that.

Oh, and here's Noah so you know what I'm talking about:


12 comments:

  1. Whoa, this was cool. Wife & I were actually talking along these lines today and you sumed it up so beautifully in your last paragraph. Could this be true CHARITY? When we can allow others to just exist. Thanks, MNJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for getting what i mean, and then expressing it better. i'm glad we're friends jon.

    i think its important to realize we all have differnt lives, and differnt options in our lives. what works for me, might not work for you, and vise versa. but i have no right to start judging what you're doing just because its not what i would do. especailly when it comes to spiritual matters. we all try to be the best people we can be, and in the end i feel like god will sort it out, and give us credit where we didnt see it in eachother before, so why not let him do his job on that account, and just be happy getting to be part of eachothers live, living and making choices :)


    i like noah's picture, hes not wearing socks with his shoes, and i do that too. also, from what i can tell, he has some 5 o clock shadow going on, and i'm such a sucker for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise and well-stated. This should be required reading at Evergreen conferences! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with this! It is great to read someone's ideas when they actually match mine.

    About the whole "live and let live" idea, I've been thinking about that. I know where I stand on issues, and I suppose things may change. That being said, I try to avoid hypocrisy. I tell people what I feel and try to live accordingly. And along those lines, I want people to do the same. I don't care what you believe or what you want in life, just don't say one thing and then do another. When it comes to standards, I hold you to your own, not to mine. I recently read a quote by Joseph Smith that reiterated this when he said "If I esteen mankind to be in error, shall I bear them down? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better, and I will not seek to compel any man to believe as I do, only by the force of reasoning, for the truth will cut it's own way." I really like that and try to live that way too.

    Anway, that has been on my mind lately, and this post seemed like an appropriate place to share that - although I am planning to blog about it soon. Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love you, jon and nicely put (you are a great writer).

    p.s. you would be a great lmhp, too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!!

    Noah, I mean.

    Ok, the rest of the entry too. :) I actually had heard about the APA report, and I think my only surprise is that it didn't come out much sooner. Isn't the idea of client-directed goals kind of fundamental in therapy? But I'm glad it's now official and on paper. And I'm glad we live in a "live and let live" kinda state. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Alan. I'm sure you can guess the probability of that happening:)

    MNJ, discovered your blog and you have a beautiful family.

    Hidden, after publishing this post, I read your post from August 16 and loved it and thought my post dovetailed nicely with your post. It's nice to step back and remember the difference between the gospel and the culture.

    Becca, love you too. Looking forward to seeing you guys next month.

    And yes, Kristine, it seems like client-directed goals shouldn't be a novel concept. After all, we ARE supposed to work out our own salvation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is refreshing to read. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas. Thanks for reading my blog. I don't really feel brave. I do feel lucky. I'm LDS, I'm gay, but I've had enough heavenly help to avoid many of the obstacles most fall into.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i google image searched Noah :)

    you are amazing, and i'm going to miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I was just scanning through my feed for the last few days (been traveling as of late) and saw the same pic I posted on my own blog. Those Gap ads... Oh, and your ideas expressed in this post appear to match mine as well.

    ReplyDelete