Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Heal the world. Make it a better place.

I started this blog almost exactly 3 months ago. Initially, I wasn’t sure who I would tell about it, if anyone at all. At the outset, I only told my sister and then a little bit later I told drippingwithoptimism. I had been reading and enjoying his blog for some time. By now, most of my friends and family know about the blog, both gay and straight. Or same sex attracted vs. opposite sex attracted if you prefer. (Has anyone coined the acronym OSA? If not, can I claim that right now? I hear the phrase “I struggle with SSA”. Does anyone out there “struggle with OSA?”)

Anyway, I digress. As I’ve continued down the blogging path, I’ve started to more clearly see what I want my blog to be and do. Generally speaking, I think there is a huge divide and misunderstanding between SSA mormons and OSA mormons and I believe the divide exists inside the church because rarely are many members forced to face the issue on a personal level. Those who are gay and stay in the church often stay quiet about it and maybe even try to pursue an outwardly hetero life, so other members rarely know about them. Those who are comfortable being open about it often get frustrated with and eventually stop being active in the church, so the only homosexuals many members of the church know about are the ones that leave. This makes it easier to perpetuate their idea that the homosexuals are degenerates because they all leave the church anyway (or at least the ones they KNOW about).

Having said all that, I feel the need to clarify some things. One, I’m speaking in generalities and I realize there are many experiences and people that don’t fit into what I’ve described in the previous paragraph. Two, I’m not trying to say that the divide and misunderstanding is the fault of those who keep quiet inside the church or of those who get frustrated and leave the church. As I said in the last paragraph from two posts ago, everyone needs to figure out what their best path will be.

The fact of the matter is that there is a divide and there is misunderstanding. This all played out quite nicely (or not) during the whole Prop 8 kerfuffle. I heard news reports of protestors desecrating grounds and buildings I hold sacred. I saw facebook status updates of friends who compared homosexuality to pedophilia and bestiality. Sometimes you don’t choose sides. Sometimes you’re on both sides. Sometimes you shut down and opt out because you don’t want to affiliate yourself with the ridiculousness that exists on either side.

Part of the problem is that each side sees the other as an exaggerated caricature of who they actually are. This is very skillfully illustrated in Eric Snider’s piece called “The Gay Marriage Column”. Read it. It will totally make you LOL and maybe even make you think a little also.

So back to one of the purposes of my blog. I want to bridge the divide. I want to heal the world. I want to make it a better place, for you and for me and the entire human race. Apparently, I want to do it by blogging about step aerobics and spelling bees and gym class and deformed dogs and denim jumper clad toddler dolls and bad haircuts and homemade lingerie and nudity. Ambitious? Probably.

13 comments:

  1. Jon, I struggle with OSA like you wouldn't believe. Nealry everyday. :) I'm glad you're willing to put yourself out there so other people are forced to think, and I'm glad we're friends. And, I'm glad your blog includes serious and silly posts-- healing the world through tolerance and laughter is very possible I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm standing in my room applauding,(not really but just imagine I am.)

    I think you have a great idea. I suppose I am one of those who like men, and yet because I am an active church member I don't want to come out and be labeled.

    Hopefully college will help me come out and heal the divide, at least in my very small circle of influence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few weeks ago I found myself in a heated debate with a grown man over health care reform. I'm not going to go into what I believe or what he believes, but in the end I felt horribly ill and knew that nothing of worth had been accomplished. Thankfully, I'm a huge nerd and during some nightly reading I came across this quote by the celebrated James Harvey Robinson: "Partisanship is our great curse. We too readily assume that everything has two sides and that it is our duty to be on one or the other."
    I think, like your post suggests, our real duty in life is not to chose sides or to judge others, but to educate ourselves, practice tolerance, and embrace the supernal gift of diversity. Ignorance and hate causes so much unnecessary pain and suffering in this world.
    Thanks for this post Jonny Face. I wish more people had your brain...well, not specifically yours...but you know what I mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I have nightmares of you locking me up in a lab to harvest my brain, I'm holding you responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Mormon Enigma (Abelard) coined the OSA slightly before you did. He wrote about it a week ago on his blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES, I absolutely struggle with OSA. It's a more serious affliction than some may think!

    YES, I love Eric Snider, and that was one of his finest pieces.

    YES, I think you are making the world a better place.

    YES we can!! (sorry, carried away, and crossing my cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade lingerie. My favorite. Reading your blog posts makes me remember how truly amazing you are, and makes me miss you [and Portland] even more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you already know, Mr. Jon, I'm your cheerleader. Can I join your cause??? Love your writing and thought, you're almost as witty as our Geoffrey...almost

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ambitious goal Jon, but it must start with us individually if we are to ever make a difference. I don't feel comfortable blurting it out to the world, but am gradually sharing my life with those whom I trust and associate most.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow that snide remarks article was absolutely beautiful, luh-ved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't struggle with SSA. To me it's as natural as breathing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kerfuffle! Great word. I think I shall use it in the future.

    Alas, I think LDS folks struggle with the black v. white, good v. bad, side a v. side b thing because, at its essence, Church doctrine does teach that the Church and its teaching are THE truth and the ONLY way to salvation. Does it not? I struggled for so long with that until I ultimately rejected it.

    But I am very sympathetic to a believing member of the Church who says "being actively homosexual is a sin, period" because the Church teaches that as a basic principle, without room to compromise on the subject.

    Great goal. Great blog. Great Scott, you actually found my blog interesting enough to follow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. jon, you're amazing. also, your word choice is amazing.

    and its funny because when i was in therapy i thought sometimes how much easier it would be if i were lesbian. supposedly thats how girls "become" lesibian is by going through some of the stuff i have. and then i wouldnt have to worry so much about talking to or relating to men. but i'm attracted to men, and i care about men. and i dont think thats even how being OSA or SSA (i'm going to popularize the term now) even works.

    i appreciate you getting me to think, and i heart your blog prettyjon :)

    ReplyDelete