Wednesday, August 12, 2009

This one is serious and has no pictures

I recently started team teaching a mission prep class in my ward. We’ve had two lessons so far. I taught the first lesson, which was a pretty generic introduction to missionary work. My friend P Dizzle taught the second lesson which was entitled “Personal Worthiness”. As a side note, the words “worthiness” and “worthy” tend to rub me the wrong way, only because they are too close to the word “worth” and therefore are too often confused with each other. That’s probably the subject of another post though.

The discussion in this lesson tended to revolve a lot around rules and how we should obey them. I was sitting in the back of the classroom and looking around at the guys and girls that were there. I was trying to imagine what might be going through their heads during this discussion and felt the need to intervene. I said something along the lines of, “with all this talk of rules and obedience, it might seem that you are being asked to surrender who you are and become a robot on your mission.” I also said that it didn’t necessarily need to be that way and that you could obey the rules and still remain true to your own unique personality. In fact, it’s your own unique personality that is going to be able to connect to people in ways that others won’t be able to. (And not in a gross used car salesman kind of way but in a more organic you are looking for something more in your life and think what I have to offer might be helpful to you kind of way.)

I got to thinking throughout the lesson about my own relationship to rules and how it’s changed over the years. Up until a couple years ago, I was a complete conformist. I would outwardly portray that I was living by the rules, anyway. Sometimes I was even living by the rules inwardly, but in a lot of ways there was a serious disconnect between my outward portrayal and my inward reality. I know I’m being vague here, but I have no interest in publicly disclosing all my past transgressions :) This has all been shifting in the last couple of years and my outward portrayal and my inward reality have been coming more in line with each other. As I sat in the class thinking about it, it occurred to me that one reason why this is so is that I’ve started to view rules and commandments less as something that are there to control my life and more as something that gives me control over my life.

This hasn’t meant that I am now even more vigilant in following the rules. (or making it look like I am following the rules) If anything, I have become more relaxed. I think my current view of rules and obedience can be summed up as follows. Generally speaking, the younger you are, the more you probably need to be guided by rules. As you get older though, you start to connect more to your inner voice or the spirit or your conscience or whatever you want to call it. You get better at learning what makes you happy and what doesn’t, what contributes to your overall growth and progression and what detracts from it. Not only do you learn those things, but you also start to gravitate towards those things that contribute to your overall well-being and growth and leave behind those things that detract. You start to rely less on rules and expectations of other people or cultures because you’ve developed a healthy and strong inner voice. This is good because we shouldn’t need to be commanded in all things. I think this post could be an expansion of the spiritual self reliance post.

That’s all. What do you think? Has your relationship with rules changed over time? Do you disagree/agree with anything I’ve said? If so, what? And Why? Would you change or add anything? Talk to me. Go.

11 comments:

  1. first of all, you're one of my heros prettyjon.

    secondly i was thinking about this alot too. sometimes it seems like we create extra rules, or start judging people on their worth or worthiness based on rule following not because we really place more value on them as children of god, but becasue we're unsure of our own place and out own worth and we need to build ourselves up. i've realized that we need to build ourselves up through the lord, and through appreciating ourselves and other not tearing them down, and we need to gain a testimony of rules and obedience not by being critical of others lives and the way they follow or dont follow rules but by being in tune with our own personal revelation about what we need to be doing in our lives.

    i do think alot of these realizations come as we get older, and i think its funny we've been thinking this at the same time. maybe it means we should be thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very timely post for me. I have been formulating my ideas regarding commandments the past few weeks and will soon post about it. I like the thoughts you have expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im not a fan of following rules for the sake of following the rules, but we already all know that ;)

    luved your post/thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since our discussion about self reliance and spirituality, and another email chain we had, it really got me thinking about a book I read a few years ago, The Great Divorce by the Great CS Lewis. I pulled it out again and re-read it, finding each traveler in myself. There is something about our perception, perspective and doing things for the right reasons that ultimately allows us to become the solid and "real" people we are meant to become and to seek out the good to know it personally, not just to be viewed as knowing it. Good read, and a great reminder about our own personal journeys and what holds us back. My favorite and (most difficult) section for me to read is the ghost who wishes to bring in his favorite demon, to steal a line from a song, perhaps a "favorite mistake", and his insistence that there is room for both of them, and the pain and struggle he goes through to get rid of it. Gets me every time, it really makes me think about my favorites and why I hang on to them, even though they are hurtful and limiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to obey commandments and break rules. Well, some rules, haha. Like you said, the older I get, the more I realize that I can be guided by the good principles I've learned and be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree that the younger we are, the more we need to be guided by rules. Lucky for us, there are enough idiots in this world who do enough stupid things to allow the creation of thousands of new rules every year to save us from ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not an easy or straightforward topic! I tend towards the "spirit of the law" end of the spectrum, but I think it's a slippery two-way slope. Error too far on the "spirit of the law" side, and you start thinking that the words of the prophets, ancient and modern, don't apply to you. It's easy to start justifying and rationalizing. On the other end, extreme "letter of the law" people can't tell the difference between commandments given by God, and commandments invented by man, and start judging everybody else by their own strict standards.

    I guess the key is to make sure that your decisions really are guided by the Spirit, and not your own natural man. As I've gotten older, I've gotten better at differentiating those inner voices, (man, if you take a step back, Mormon talk always sounds so crazy... :) but I'm still not always sure. If my ideas contradict revealed word of God, then I can be pretty sure I'm the one who's mistaken. Even when I don't completely understand the commandment yet, there is something to be said for simple obedience. I'm convinced that God grants us strength and power for obeying the "little" commandments that don't seem like a big deal, and I need all the strength I can get.

    Also, I think it's helpful to know what exactly the commandments are! As far as I know, there's no commandments about watching tv on Sunday, about drinking Pepsi, or about paying tithing before or after taxes. The commandments are to keep the Sabbath holy, to obey the word or wisdom, and to pay 10% of your increase. Interpreting the specifics is where the Spirit comes in, and I adamantly believe that my Spirit-directed interpretation can be different from your Spirit-directed interpretation, and that the Spirit can give us different interpretations at different points in our life. (So maybe this was all part of the RS lesson I taught a couple weeks ago, so I've been thinking about it lately too... But I'm still not sure my thoughts make sense outside of my own head!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how many great comments this post has triggered. I agree that as you grow older and gain a deeper understanding of God's commandments, you are better able to follow the commandments without being overly concerned with looking like you're doing the right thing. There should be more allowances from people than there are for people to live their lives in different ways that are all acceptable to God.

    I will however make a plug for the importance of obedience and faith together, and argue that at times you will be asked to follow commandments or rules or policies that you do not understand the importance of. Even if practicing obedience is the only reason a rule or policy is currently important, I think that may be reason enough to continue doing what you've been asked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting...I like Kristine's comment. And to me, it does make sense outside your head :)

    My opinion is that it's not so much that we "don't need the rules" as we get older, but as we grow and progress our hearts are changed and we have "no more desire for evil" as the scripture says. At that point I think our perspective of obedience changes. We view it in a different light and I guess it could give the false notion that we don't need the rules/commandments. (It scares me to think that way because the moment I do, I'm sure I will find another "favorite mistake" to remind me of the importance of obedience!) I firmly believe in the principle of being obedient simply for obedience sake. But I also agree that doing so doesn't have to take away one's unique personality!

    Thanks for making me think on a Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must have taught the same lesson as Kristine for RS, but I too often think about this idea. Several years ago I spoke at a stake young women's evening in the stake I grew up in. The most important message I discovered for myself and I tried to impart to these girls was the need to develop our own relationship with our Heavenly Father. That we each have our own journey and our own path that, if we develop that relationship, we will be able to know and discover it's route. I think the church, when it establishes rules, tries to lay out the path that the majority of people will travel. But as we develop our personal relationships, we are open to personal inspiration that may lead us ever so slightly off the main path and onto a side street. Ultimately we get to the same place, but we may be happier. Maybe some of us are claustrophobic and the main path just seems too congested and crowded. The commandments are divine rules from our Heavenly Father. The rules of the church are designed to apply to the majority because until we develop that relationship and that understanding of how we differentiate the messages we receive from our Heavenly Father and our own desires or others, there is safety.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A while ago I was constantly met with some seminary video statements such as "you are being restricted" "I do what I want to do". The source of these statements=moron, but he gave me something to think about. Why was I choosing the life path I was choosing? For me, or so I looked like I was being good? I did a lot of thinking and praying and I came to the realization that in order for me to feel happy/fulfilled, I needed to continue on the (good) path I'd chosen. The realization came a lot later than I expected, but it was a great thing to recognize. So I agree with you. By now I pretty much know what all the rules are, and as an adult I get to decide if I'll follow them (even if it means showing up to teach primary every week...I assume that will eventually make me feel good). :) Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete