Thursday, March 18, 2010

Harold Crick goes down under

My friend David recently sent me a quote that reminded me of my Harold Crick post. It comes from a travel website called Gone Walkabout and the source of the quote is unknown. Here it is:

The term Walkabout comes from the Australian Aboriginal. The idea is that a person can get so caught up in one's work, obligations and duties that the truly important parts of one's self become lost. From there it is a downward spiral as one gets farther and farther from the true self. A crisis situation usually develops that awakens the wayward to the absent true self. It is at this time that one must go on walkabout. All possessions are left behind (except for essential items) and one starts walking. Metaphorically speaking, the journey goes on until you meet yourself. Once you find yourself, you sit down and have a long talk about what one has learned, felt and done in each other's absence. One talks until there is nothing left to say -- the truly important things cannot be said. If one is lucky, after everything has been said and unsaid, one looks up and sees only one person instead of the previous two.

I love how Harold Crick, Jerry Ruhl/Carl Jung, and some dude's travel website can all say basically the same thing but in their own unique way. I think that's partly why we're here. We all have these lessons to learn that are basically the same for each of us. We each learn our lessons, put our own stamp on it, and share it with others until we all come to one great collective truth.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you can be looking for knowledge slash inspiration in one area of your life, and the Universe with all its abundance will bring that one truth to you in many forms, until it can really sink in.

    I also love how similar people can be across cultures and time, when you are looking for those similarities in our human plight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stealing this and putting it on facebook so I can look as cool. I love this quote. Thank you Jon.

    ReplyDelete