Sunday, May 30, 2010

10 Favorite Things

Reina tagged me (not in a gang related way, but in a friendly, bloggerly way) to do a list of my 10 favorite things. So here they are:

1. Music - I love listening to good music, singing good music and allowing good music to help shape and mold me.

2. Books - Another title for this could be that I love learning.

3. Doug Fabrizio - I know I just cursed Doug's name in a recent post, but I love him for reals. This one dovetails nicely with my love of learning mentioned in #2. The man is a beautiful interviewer and I love the people he brings on his show and the broad range of topics he covers and the way he explores them. I think one of my secret dream jobs would be to do what he does. Doug, if you're reading this, make me your apprentice.

4. Buddhism - I know it's like the trendy western things to say right now, but I love it. I love meditation. I love stopping and listening. I love taking the one seat. Allowing myself to feel. Learning what it has to teach me. Finding the middle way. I think Mormonism could benefit greatly from a healthy Buddhist injection.

5. Friends - I love discovering people and letting who they are unfold before me. I love being taught by them. I love my friends here in Portland and the ones in SLC that I don't get to see and be with as much as I'd like to. I love randomly being in the same city as a best friend while traveling and having delicious pizza together while discussing weighty things. I also love discussing weighty things with a friend at Red Robin while people around us are clapping their hands and singing happy birthday and a person in a bird costume lingers by our table. I love my blogging friends who tell me to keep my pants on when I'm on trips in San Francisco.

6. Traveling - I love to travel for the reasons that are explained so well in this post.

7. Personal revelation - I absolutely believe in a higher power who knows more than I do. I love that he is willing to let me in on secrets about myself and the world and my relationship to the world.

8. Good TV - I love good TV. The actual set of shows that I love evolves and changes, but right now I love Glee and Modern Family. I love that those two shows have both humor and heart. I also love Thursday night on NBC. It seems weird to say I love 24 because I'm not sure what I get out of it other than bloodlust and a severe adrenaline rush, so I'll just say that I really like 24. Oh, and combining #8 with #5 is another favorite.

9. The Oregon Coast - I love the beautiful ruggedness and greenness of the Oregon coast. I go there and I get immediate clarity.

10. The marriage of religion with intellectualism - This one probably seems a little bizarre, but I love taking two things that seem like they don't belong together and allowing myself to transcend the polarities to embrace both and see what both things considered together can teach me without feeling the need to latch onto one side or the other. Yes, I love wrestling with contraries.

Also, after a year of having my blog and not really making any changes, I've gotten totally crazy and made some. I know, the blog is hardly recognizeable (the dictionary says this isn't a word. Whatever.) Anyway, I added music, what do you think? Keep it or not? I added a poll to the right so that your voice can be heard. Let's rock the vote. I also added a search widget for my blog. Search away.

9 comments:

  1. When you say that you "love wrestling contraries" I think what you really mean is that you love wrestling. Second post involving wrestling.

    Have we talked about the Buddhism thing? I feel like we have, but if we haven't then I think we are having the conversation simultaneously with other people. If we incorporated more of their principles: meditation, wholeness, listening, seeing, and my favorite, non injury (ok ok it's a Jain principle (but it's Eastern!)) we could put to better use the truth, covenants and gifts that we have access to. In turn making us better disciples of Christ and bringing us closer to our HF. POW!

    print that in the Ensign!

    Have you read the Razor's Edge? ps. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also love buddhism. once i got to go see the dali lama speak and he was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the list, and I like it when people have music. It's fun to discover music that other people love. You didn't mention one single food item on your list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love that I appear five times on your blog search!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think most weighty conversations could really benefit from the presence of a bird mascot, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love music. As long as its not zydeco. If your blog had zydeco blasting loudly when I first get there, I'm never coming back. so don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again with the Doug Fabrizio! He blows! And not in a good way!
    PS- I mute the blogs that have music.
    PPS- Did you keep your pants on, or was I too late?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cool brother just went to a show by the lead singer of sigur ros- his name escapes me- that was immensely cool. He probably plays cool cities like portland, but definitely not un-cool cities like cookeville. You should look him up. He's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a big fan of number 7 and number 8. I may be spending some time on the Oregon coast in the near future. My sister lives just north of Newport now.

    ReplyDelete