Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Oh Warren, what will you do next?


This is a picture of Warren Buffett at the Berkshire Hathaway annual shareholder’s meeting that just occurred in Omaha. I attended the shareholder’s meeting in May 2002. It was the year before I graduated from BYU and I drove out to Chicago with my friend Kevin to work for the summer. Our mutual friend Adam, who is in love with Warren, owned a share of Berkshire stock and had tickets to the shareholder’s meeting and told us we should go with him. So as soon as Kevin and I got to Chicago and dropped our stuff off, we turned around and drove back to Omaha to meet up with Adam.

We spent the next few days camping at a KOA campground and doing all things Buffett. We ate at the local Dairy Queen, Kevin got some See’s chocolates for his mother, we bought a TV at Nebraska’s Furniture Mart as a wedding gift for another friend and we got our picture taken with the Fruit of the Loom guys. The purple grapes asked us if we were randy. I think he thought we were gay because we were getting our picture taken with fruit. He was 1/3 correct, even though that 1/3 was trying to pretend so desperately that it wasn’t so.

We also watched Warren and Charlie Munger, Warren’s right hand man, deliver their address singing and playing ukuleles on the jumbotron. We went to the local jewelry store, where Adam was able to snap a picture of Warren. I can’t remember if he touched him though. We also went to Buffett’s favorite steakhouse, Gorat’s, where he dines with Bill Gates when he’s in town. Gorat’s also became the place where Kevin ate an undercooked steak and suffered for the next week or two because of it.

The trip was seriously off the hook, you guys. Buffettpalooza. We were crazy like that. It was the perfect start to a summer in which my job ended up falling through in Chicago and I had to drive back across the country to SLC after a month and apply for a pell grant so that I could afford to finish my last year of college.

No comments:

Post a Comment