Friday, December 4, 2009

Cell Phone POW! #7


This POW! comes from my friend Desha, who has been hanging out in Turkey and Greece for the last month. She said she found it on a beach on Hydra Island in Greece. I wonder what the masculine state is like. Would it be a fun place to visit? Probably not, I’m guessing there would be lots of Stuart Scott and SportsCenter.

Last night the choir I sing in sang at The Grotto. Every year during December they do a Festival of Lights. Think Temple Square, only Catholic. We sang in a small chapel there and the acoustics were fantastic. I was a little surprised at how good we sounded. The bad part though, is that anytime I had to flip into falsetto nothing would come out. The thought crossed my mind that I hoped I wasn’t getting sick. Sure enough, I woke up with a sore throat. I hope it passes quickly. We are performing again tomorrow night and our big concert is a week from today. In the meantime, I just want to cuddle up with my Snuggie and watch Glee.

I’m a floor warden at work. No, I don’t work in a prison, I’m just supposed to respond in case of an emergency. This morning I had to go to a two hour fire extinguisher training. The first hour included an incredibly lame video and a power point presentation. Although, this video was kind of cool. They certainly didn’t need to take 2 hours though. I thought the second hour was going to be a lot more fun because they told us we would get to do some “hands on” training. I took this to mean that we would use real extinguishers to put out real fires. This is what we did instead. Total let down.

We each got a turn with the BullEx Bullseye, and the guy doing the training was taking it way too seriously. He was coaching all of us like we were his little league baseball team. I stepped up to the extinguisher and he gives me the “C’mon, you can do this!” After I started extinguishing the fire he said, “C’mon, you gotta want this!” I almost stopped and let the fire rage so that I could turn to him and say, “Dude, I’m fighting a fake fire with a pretend extinguisher.”
Coming soon: a cigarette and a Christmas themed POW! (Those are two separate themes.)

12 comments:

  1. I am pleased to say that I have actually been able to have a fire training with real fire, real extinguishers, and real firemen. Although, none of them were attractive. TV lies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um...dude...how sad is it that I just sat here & watched the WHOLE vid. I'm having "an" afternoon.

    PS when do we get to MY pow? come on, please, pretty please, I need something else to read this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry i couldnt come to your performance, i had to pay the stupid electric bill :P

    i too wonder what the mascuilne state would be like. would it involve pork rinds?

    i have had so many job trainings that sounded cool but were a huge let down. someday i'll do job training and it will be cool. you can come even if you dont work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MNJ, maybe you should light your office on fire. It would spice up your afternoon AND you now have the proper training to take care of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon.... I know secretly you were wanting to take the simulated fire screen and take it home and put it in your fire place. Then it could be the new wii when you get bored!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How does this story not include any attractive firemen? I was so excited last year when they decided to rebuild the fire station on Scholl's, and my school agreed to let the fire station temporarily live on our grounds. I was at the staff council meeting when the principal presented the plan, and one teacher actually asked, "So, how do we benefit from this?" And I just had to counter with, "FIREMEN outside our WINDOWS... how do we NOT benefit?? I happen to know that at least one of those firemen has an Australian accent." Now they're getting close to finishing the new fire station, and I'm considering ways to sabotage. They're welcome to stay at our school as loooong as they'd like...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not like to live in the straight masculine state. But I would like to visit.

    I am very very very excited to hear you sing at your concert this coming week. At the Olde with an "e" church.

    That training and the laser extinguishers is such a let-down. Laaaame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had so many job trainings that sounded cool but were a huge let down. Someday I’ll do job training and it will be cool. You can come even if you don’t work for me. I was so excited last year when they decided to rebuild the fire station on Scholl's, and my school agreed to let the fire station temporarily live on our grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most residential fire extinguishers contain only enough material for 6 to 10 seconds of use. This is due to their size, but also because they are not meant to fight a fire for long durations, just a quick attempt to put out the fire before leaving the area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now they're getting close to finishing the new fire station, and I'm considering ways to sabotage. They're welcome to stay at our school as long as they'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had so many job trainings that sounded cool but were a huge let down. someday I'll do job training and it will be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had so many job trainings that sounded cool but were a huge let down. someday I'll do job training and it will be cool.

    ReplyDelete