Monday, December 14, 2009

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I’m not even sure where to begin. It seems like I haven’t posted anything forever, but it hasn’t even been a week. My sister flew in Thursday morning and I took Thursday and Friday off work. We drove out to Cannon Beach after she flew in and spent the afternoon walking on the beach and eating lunch at the Wayfarer. We shared a burger and a salad and got this crazy good berry cobbler. The weather was surprisingly good. It had been freezing in Portland, and I thought it would be horrible at the coast with the wind, but it was surprisingly calm and not all that cold. We drove back to Portland and I got back in time to go to my dress rehearsal for the concert.

Friday morning we took it easy and lay (is that the correct usage? I always have a hard time with lie and lay) around and had some great conversation and then decided to go to the gym so that we could then feel ok about going to Grilled Cheese Grill for lunch. I got the Hot Brie. I am in love with brie. I have to go back and try the Jalapeno Popper though. It comes recommended by a lady who knows and it sounded so good.

Friday night was the concert and it went well. I almost fell down the stairs as I was leaving the stage for intermission, but fortunately I was able to regain my balance quickly. My favorite part was when the choir took breaks and we got to listen to the solos and duets and other small group numbers. There are some insanely talented people in the choir and I wondered more than once how I got in.

Yesterday was our ward Christmas program. Favorite moment of the day was when this girl was giving her talk and listing off familiar Christmas things and what they symbolize (candy canes and the shepherd’s crook, etc.) She got to “a wreath” and Ariel and I both started to snicker and turned to each other and said, “Aretha Franklin!” I’m not sure what she symbolizes, but then I remembered her and her hat that she wore at Obama’s inauguration.

Last night my friend Jarrett came over and we watched the finale of Glee. Favorite line: She’s the one they made me talk to when they found a dead bird in my locker.

5 comments:

  1. I want hats to come back. I want to have a millinery shop in my basement. I'm glad you didn't trip, but imagine the memories if you had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this, I wondered how you were ever going to get to Aretha Franklin. I got a big laugh out of it.

    Also, good taste on the Glee lines. Britney's my (not so) secret favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad your music presentations went well! And, glad you were able to catch your balance and not fall down!

    I also have a problem with lay and lie. Here is how I remember:

    lie, rhymes with "recline", as in "I will go lie down"
    lay, rhymes with "place", as to "lay the book down"

    Hopefully that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birds in lockers rule!!!! Oh and that picture I just want to pinch Aretha's cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Lie" is like "recline," but the past tense is actually "lay," which means you used it correctly. Go you. (Yes, I have been drilling my kids on past tense verbs since school started, and... well, they've improved a little. :)

    And when I heard you and Ariel talking about a wreath and Aretha after church... At first, I heard something completely different. Since I'm not teaching Health this year, I don't know what my excuse is this time. But it made me feel a little sorry for Aretha.

    ReplyDelete