Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas POW! #9

I made it to the SLC. I love that every time I fly to or from SLC I am on a flight with someone I know. It's a small Mormon world. So this very special Christmas POW! is brought to you by a lady at work. Well, I took the pictures, but she provides the kodak moment. Every year, during the weekend of Thanksgiving, she and her husband come in and decorate the department for Christmas. They haul in many large tubs of Christmas decorations of every variety. Porcelain villages, nativities, stuffed animals, garland, fake snow, nutcrackers, miniature Christmas trees. Anything and everything you can possibly imagine. Then they cover every open space on the tops of filing cabinets with it. The result looks like Christmas came in and hoarked everywhere. This picture is to give you a feel of the layout. This is just one of the filing cabinet spaces where Christmas tossed its cookies.




Here's what kind of looks like it should be a stable for a manger scene, but instead there's a carousel horse. It's hard to see in this picture, but the horse is impaled by a Christmas tree. Over to the right you can see some carolers by a streetlight. And a cow. NBD.


Here we have Mr. and Mrs. Claus. I swear she stole those two from my Grandma's house. Someone in my family back me up here. Didn't grandma have the exact same thing? As a matter of fact, my brother's family now lives in my grandma's house. Maybe these two came with the house?


Here are two nutcracker guys standing gaurd under some hot air balloon. When it's turned on it makes music and rotates. There are other moving pieces to her display and lights too. I heard a rumor that when she was gone for a couple of days she trained someone on how to start everything up in the morning and shut it down at night. This is real, you guys. Christmas is no joke.


And probably one of my favorite pieces is Santa. On a Harley. I think he rocks back and forth and sings Born to be Wild or something like that.



It's always funny when we have visitors on the floor and they see the spread. Some of them don't quite know how to react. Here's another entertaining tidbit. Last year after they came and decorated the floor, I had a dream that this woman and her husband had us all over to their house for a holiday party and her husband clipped my toenails. I think that came from a rumor I've heard that her husband cuts and colors her hair and even does it for her every morning. I imagine her husband to be Harvey Fierstein.
Merry Christmas!!!!

3 comments:

  1. That is just obscene. How do you get any work done in that environment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. my friends mom has ceramic decorations like this for every season. her house always looks like this, but sometimes its with easterbunny vases, etc. we made a joke about how many ceramic head vases it is legal for one to own, but seriously. how does one take up that hobby?

    ReplyDelete