Monday, December 14, 2009

Happy Hanukkah!

Every year for Christmas, we go out to breakfast as a department at work and have an ornament exchange. It’s like a white elephant exchange but with Christmas ornaments. I know. Lame. This morning was the annual exchange and fortunately, lots of people went rogue and brought more useful things to exchange like a Starbucks gift card or a bottle of wine or a six pack of Christmas beer. Well, useful for some people anyway. I, of course, ended up with the lamest 5 pack of Christmas balls ever. My coworker tried to help me look on the bright side and told me that I could unpackage the 5 balls and have an ornament to exchange for the next five years.

Last night I was debating what to bring for my ornament as I still hadn’t figured anything out. I had the idea of making a star out of popsicle sticks and then putting my face in the middle, like you make in elementary school for your mother. I even went so far as eating and melting a bunch of popsicles in my freezer for the sticks. I glued them together to make a star (pictured above), but this morning I ended up chickening out. It kind of looked like a star of David and I thought that might be offensive to some people if I brought a star of David made of stained red popsicle sticks with my face in the middle. Not that my face is offensive, but you know.

Instead, I stopped at Albertson’s on the way to work to pick something up. They only had a few tacky ornaments on hand. I had my choice between Spongebob, Transformers and Stewie from Family Guy. I was in a bit of a pinch so I just went with Stewie. We got to the restaurant and I sat at a table with coworkers D and M. When my ornament was chosen from the pile and unwrapped, M said, “Oh great, I better not end up with that one,” which he never should have said. That was the ornament he ended up with and the whole time he was complaining and saying how much he hated it. Pretty soon D joined in and then later said, “We better be careful, we might be offending Jon.” He said this jokingly and then asked which ornament I brought. I pointed at Stewie and said, “that one.”

5 comments:

  1. At the end, I can't tell if you're sad or if you're secretly feeling victorious that your punk co-worker ended up getting Stewie after all his complaining. Btw, I like the Star of David. It's very preschool (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little bit victorious. We all had a good laugh about it. I actually ended up with the ornament I made fun of, so we all kind of got what was coming to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that was their reply to Stewie, I wonder what it would have been to the Star of David with your face in the middle that was clearly made from popsicle sticks you had (or may have) licked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have kicked him in the shin, taken Stewie back, and given him the star with your face in the middle.... Then grabbed the Christmas Beer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want that popsicle stick star with your face in it for Christmas, please.

    ReplyDelete